InstantPot Fruity Fennel Chicken Thighs
Cooking these Fruity Fennel Chicken Thighs in an Instantpot reduces the time an old favourite slow cooker recipe cooks by 5 hours 😀 Yum
- 1 Orange.
- 1 Fennel Bulb.
- 2 Shallots.
- 50g Dried Apricots: Cut in half.
- 4 Bone in Skin On Chicken Thighs.
- 1 Tbsp Hooney.
- 1/2 Tsp Salt.
- Good Grind Black Pepper.
- 1 Tbsp Flavourless Cooking Oil.
- 20g Blanched Almonds.
- 1 Tbsp Harissa Paste.
- 6 Garlic Cloves: Bashed a little with the back of a knife.
- 1 Tsp Cornflower: Cornstarch in the US.
- Take the orange and remove the zest and set aside.
- Then peel the orange and cut out the segments with a sharp knife and again set aside.
- The squeeze out the remaining orange juice.
- Cut the fennel bulb into 6 wedges (top to tail), if your fennel has some feathery fronds pull them off and set them aside for later.
- Take the shallots, cut in half and peel and cut off 2mm of the base, just enough to smarten up the shallot but not too much so that it falls apart.
- Set your instant pot to saute and when hot add in the cooking oil and then sear the cut side of the shallots and fennel and when nicely charred after 3-4 minutes set aside, do this in 2 batches.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and again sear off until you get a nice colour on the skin side and remove, again around 3-4 minutes.
- Mix together the orange juice from the orange, the lemon juice and add water to make it up to 100ml, then add the honey and harissa paste and mix together.
- Cancel the saute function.
- Add in the garlic to the bottom of the pan, then layer on the chicken with the skin side up, followed by the fennel and shallots, then sprinkle over the apricots, almonds, orange zest and finally pour over the liquid mixture.
- Place the lid on your InstantPot and cook on manual for 12 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release (NPR).
- Whilst you are in the NPR phase you can turn on your grill (broiler) to flash under your chicken thighs and orange segments to get a nice caramalisation.
- To finish your sauce remove all of the ingredients from the pan and set aside, set your InstantPot to saute and bubble down the sauce with 1 teaspoon of cornflower mixed with 1 teaspoon of water until thickened and check for seasoning.