Mulled Wine: The Ultimate Winter Warmer
Call it what you will, Mulled Wine, Glühwein, Gløgg or anything else, a warming glass of wine is the perfect spicy treat for long cold and dark nights! Yum
- 1 Orange
- 18 Cloves
- 3.75 Litres Red Wine: I am using my homebrew but you should use anything you like.
- 4 Cinnamon Sticks
- 50g Ginger: Sliced into 5mm coins
- 50 Whole Black Pepper Corns
- 10 Star Anise
- 10 Cardamom Pods
- Juice and Rind of One Large Orange
- 200g Honey
- 50ml Black Treacle or Molasses
- Amaretto to serve (Optional)
- Stud the orange with the cloves and then add all of the ingredients with the exception of the honey and black treacle into a pan with a lid on and bring to a simmer.
- When the wine is simmering add in the honey and black treacle, reduce the heat to as low as possible add a tight fitting lid and allow to steep for at least one hour.
- Before serving add a good 'glug' of Amaretto to each glass, the rich almond flavour works wonderfully with mulled wine!
- I leave a huge pan of this on our log burner for days, it reaches its peak after 3 days, however the recipe can be scaled down. Yum