Tuscan Cabbage and White Bean Soup
This Tuscan cabbage and white bean soup is peasant food at its very best and utilises all of the best autumnal ingredients! Yum
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil.
- 1 Onion: Medium dice, around 125g.
- 1 Potato: peeled and cut into a medium dice, around 100g.
- 100g Leek: Cut in to 5mm 'coins'.
- 3 Garlic Cloves: Finely chopped.
- 200g Cooked White Beans: Either cook your own or use canned, Fagioli is my bean of choice for this recipe.
- 500ml Good Quality Vegetable Stock.
- 150g Savoy Cabbage: Finely shredded.
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano.
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley: Optional, chopped.
- Parmesan shavings for garnishing.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat and add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Throw in the potato, leak and onion and cook for 5 minutes until just beginning to soften.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and add the beans, reduce the heat to low and allow to very gently simmer for 15 minutes.
- After the soup has simmered for 15 minutes check for seasoning and as salt and pepper as required, then add the shredded cabbage and oregano, return the lid and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- When the soup is cooked remove about 1/4 of the soup and blitz in a blender and return to the main pan and mix checking again for seasoning adding salt and pepper as required.
- Just before serving add the fresh parsley if using and sprinkle with the Parmesan shavings.
- For this recipe I consider a medium dice to be around 5mm. Yum