A simple Chinese chicken noodle soup has endless variations. This one goes heavy on garlic and ginger and then compliments with simple light Asian flavours.
Easy Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup.
There must be a million variations on Chinese chicken noodle soup.
When I am stumped on what to cook and need something in a hurry then one of my many recipes is usually what I turn to.
They all have one thing in common they are all really simple!
They require no mad chef skills, just some ingredients, a knife and around half an hour of your time.
This particular recipe features chicken and bok choi however the real star is the simple ginger infused broth that forms the foundation that all this stuff sits in.
The Chicken Broth…
The broth for this Shinese noodle soup is so simple yet so delicious.
Essentially we take some ginger and garlic and allow it to steep in a good quality chicken stock.
Seriously, it is just like making a cup of tea, we get the glorious flavours of garlic and ginger permeating the entire soup.
As this recipe is so simple you really must make sure that the stock that you start from is really good. Using a chicken stock cube will result in a terrible soup!
Either make your own chicken stock, which is really simple. Or buy some really good quality chicken stock.
How to Roast The Perfect Chicken Breast.
This Chinese chicken noodle soup is topped with a simply roasted chicken breast.
I flavour the chicken breast with Chinese five spice, then sear and throw it in the oven.
You can, of course, remove the skin if you are counting the calories. But this recipe is already pretty ‘slim’ on the calory front and chicken skin tastes so damn good!
There is one secret roasting the perfect chicken breast. In fact, it is the same secret to cooking any piece of meat perfectly.
You must cook it to the perfect internal temperature.
For chicken that is 73°C or 165°F. That is after the meat has been rested, it will continue to rise in temperature after it has been removed from the oven.
The very best way to measure this is with a meat thermometer.
Now I have no skin in this game, I don’t care which one you get, just get one!
Learn how yours works and then use it, you will cook meat perfectly every single time!
If you only have 30 minutes to spare and a grumbly tummy then this super simple Chinese chicken noodle soup is the ideal way to banish those hunger pangs.
- 2 Small Chicken Breasts
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 Pinch Coarse Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 500 ml (2 Cups) Chicken Stock
- 50 g (1 Cup) Ginger
- 6 Cloves Garlic
- 75 g (3/4 Cup) Egg Noodles
- 2 Spring Onions
- 1 Bok Choi
- 75 g (1/2 Cup) Red Onion
- 1 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Shaoxing Vinegar
- Pre-heat your oven to 200°C or 400°F.
- Heat a frying pan you can transfer to the oven over a medium high heat and add the cooking oil.
- Season the chicken breast with the pinch of salt and the Chinese five spice and cook skin side down for 2 minutes.
- After two minutes check you have a nice colour, flip and then transfer to the oven.
- Cook until the internal temperature reaches 72°C, this should take around 20 minutes.
- Cut the ginger into batons around 2 cm long and as fine as you can.
- Finely slice the garlic.
- Heat the chicken stock with the ginger and garlic and allow to steep on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Whilst this is steeping cook your noodles as per the instructions on the packet, refresh in cold water and set aside.
- Cut the spring onions into 4cm lengths and finely slice, finely slice the red onion and cut the bok choi into quarters length ways.
- By now your chicken should be cooked remove from the oven, cover with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Whilst your chicken is resting add the vinegar and soy sauce followed by the bok choi and allow to poach for 5 minutes.
- Finally add in your noodles and red onion and allow to come to temperature whilst slicing your chicken and serve.
Ensure that your stock is not too salty before adding the soy sauce and adjust as necessary.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 513Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 1177mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 51g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.