These pretty traditional lemon and blueberry muffins have a crisp crumble topping that really makes them stand out in a crowd!
Classic Blueberry Muffins with a Lemon and Crumble Twist.
Grab a seat boys and girls because I am off an all too rare foray into baking “cakes” again.
In fact, there is only one other cake recipe here on Krumpli, the classic Hungarian Dobos Torte. A great cake but definitely a labour of love!
These muffins are a great deal easier to make but no less satisfying.
The sweet almost jammy blueberries are offset by just a little sweetness and that crumble topping.
Well, be prepared to have your mind blown!
We have a very simple set of ingredients here so there is not a lot to trade in or out.
But there are some alterations that can be made.
I use mascarpone cheese in this recipe, you could swap this out for cream cheese. It will make the recipe a little less heavy on the hips and it will be a little more tart.
I prefer the richness of mascarpone personally. If you are gonna do cake then jump in with both feet I say!
You can also use frozen blueberries in this recipe and you do not need to defrost them.
A little tip to stop those frozen blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the muffin is to toss them in a little flour or powdered sugar.
For the Muffins:
- 120 g Softened Butter
- 200 g Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 110 g Mascarpone Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 150 g Plain Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 150 g Blueberries
For the Crumble:
- 2 Tbsp Melted Butter
- 75 g Brown Sugar
- 80 g Plain Flour
- Cream together the softened butter and sugar.
- Mix in the eggs, it is easier to do this one at a time.
- Add in the Mascarpone cheese, vanilla extract and lemon juice and mix.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and then mix together.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Add the flour and brown sugar to a separate bowl.
- Pour in the melted butter and mix to form a crumb.
- Divide the batter between 12 muffin cases.
- Sprinkle over the crumble topping.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C or 350°F for 18-20 minutes.
Adapted from Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins: Cook Craft Love
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 4g