This mini cheese and onion quiche is loaded with caramelised onions and Gorgonzola cheese and are the perfect size to slip into a picnic basket!
Mini Cheese and Onion Quiche.
I’m back on the picnic trail and this time with a mini quiche, rah…
I have no idea whether this recipe makes me a real man or not!
But the book that immortalises that unforgettable sentence is probably one of the rare occasions where a piece of literature pretty much wipes out the popularity of a recipe in the blink of an eye.
Anyway I digress, I like quiche, it is a pie crust with eggs and stuff inside.
What is not to like, apart from making the pastry of course.
Something I am trying to do more of this year, it is no scary just a task I am not so keen on!
How to Make Mini Quiche.
My Leek Quiche was so popular I figured would have a go at pairing it down in size.
Creating something a little closer to my natural base of cooking for smaller numbers.
These are two mini quiche, each will serve two people as part of a picnic munch.
They would also form a hearty meal for one accompanied by a side salad too!
The key to making this recipe is the tin it is formed in.
I use two 12cm diameter and 4cm deep springform tins. They seem to be widely available online and certainly in bricks and mortar stores.
They also give that great slab-sided look, rather than the fluted look of a traditional quiche.
After that, it is a simple case of following really simple instructions.
What Cheese and Onions to Use?
A cheese and onion quiche is a broad description.
There are so many cheeses and so many onions. This quiche goes with caramelised onions and gorgonzola. A blue cheese that I used in my roasted fig salad.
It is always important to consider the time when cooking caramelising onions. There are lots of short cuts online, all of them are rubbish!
Look at me being all controversial! There is one simple secret to cooking perfectly caramelised onions and that secret is time.
Make sure you give yourself around an hour because that is what it will take to get some properly mahogany coloured unctuous naturally sweet, caramelised onions.
For the Pastry Case:
- 300 g Plain Flour
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 150 g Butter
- 75 ml Cold Water
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
For the Filling:
- 150 g Onion
- 100 g Gorgonzola Cheese
- 6 Eggs
- 150 ml Double Cream
- 1 Tbsp Onion
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Before you begin start by slicing the onions into half moon shapes around 5mm thick.
- Add the oil for the filling and slowly cook the onions for an hour over a low-medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- Add the flour and salt to a cold bowl and mix together.
- Dice the butter.
- Now add in the cold diced butter and rub through the flour and salt mix until it forms breadcrumbs.
- Mix together the water and lemon juice and slowly add to the breadcrumb mix until it begins to form a ball.
- When it forms a ball tip out on to a floured work surface and knead it gently until a single ball is formed, cut in half make into two balls.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Now remove from the fridge and cut in half, roll out to a 3-5mm thick circle and use to line two 12cm diameter, 4cm deep spring form cases.
- Do not cut of extra pastry and return to the fridge for another 15 minutes, whilst you preheat your oven to 190°C or 375°F.
- When the cases have rested fill them with baking parchment and baking beans and cook for 25 minutes.
- The remove the baking beans and then cook for another 5 minutes.
- When the pastry cases have been part cooked, trim off the remaining pastry being careful as it will be hot.
- Then place the onions into the pastry cases followed by the cheese.
- Now mix together the cream egg and salt and pour it into the pastry cases and bake at 190°C or 375°F for 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool a little before removing from the spring form tins.
If you are not going vegetarian sub 50g of the butter with 50g lard, this will lead to a crisper snap to the pastry.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 884Total Fat: 59gSaturated Fat: 35gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 421mgSodium: 1009mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 24g