This Pork Tenderloin with Pickled Fennel & Carrots recipe comes with a spicy harissa dressing and is the perfect spring/summer salad that’s very un-salad like!
Pork Tenderloin with Pickled Fennel and Carrots.
Pork tenderloin feels like the perfect meat for this time of year. Quick to cook, light and lean and it sits perfectly alongside pickles like this pickled fennel and carrots.
This is in the main the way I eat throughout spring and summer, it seems only yesterday I was cooking for winter. But spring seems to have skipped us by this year and we went straight from snowshoes to shorts and flip flops!
Not that I am complaining, yet anyway, I know from experience come autumn I will be yearning for stew!
Quick Pickled Fennel.
Quick pickles were definitely a huge defining feature of my cooking last summer. I am sure that it will continue this year!
This Zander Fillet recipe with quick pickles kinda kicked off my whole journey here on Krumpli.
Forget the heavily pickled beetroot, onions or eggs of your youth, not that there is anything wrong with them. These are just different, light and bright with enough pickle to differentiate a dish but not too much to kill it.
The whole point of this pickle is to add a sharp seasoning to the vegetables, in this case, fennel and carrot. But it should not overwhelm the flavour or indeed alter the texture of the vegetables.
A Splash of Harissa Dressing.
Harissa is another ingredient I used relatively sparsely until last year… But last summer it really featured heavily.
Containing cumin, carraway, peppers, chili, garlic, onion and coriander, harissa paste is a great foundation for a sauce or dressing. It is certainly not the first time I have used it either. In fact, this dressing is a slight tweak on a dressing I used on a salmon and orange salad I published last year.
The great thing about harissa paste is that it has a pretty decent shelf life. Much longer than the constituent ingredients! It is also super useful all year round too.
A store cupboard essential if there ever were one!
This Pork Tenderloin with Pickled Fennel and Carrots recipe comes with a spicy harissa dressing and is the perfect spring/summer salad that's very un-salad like!
- 400 g Pork Tenderloin
- 200 g Bacon
- 250 g Fennel
- 125 g Carrot
- 30 g Hazelnuts
- Salt and Pepper, To taste
- 1/2 Cucumber
For the Dressing:
- 1 Tbsp Harissa Paste
- 1 Tsp Rose Water
- 1 Tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Rape Seed Oil
- Salt and Pepper, To taste
For the Pickling Liquid.
- 150 ml Water
- 225 ml Red Wine Vinegar
- 75 g Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp Coarse Sea Salt
- Mix together the ingredients for the dressing and set aside.
- Slice your fennel bulb into 3-4mm slices and place into a large flat bowl, if you have some fennel fronds reserve them for garnish.
- Using a vegetable peeler cut the carrot into ribbons and add them to the fennel.
- Place all of the ingredients for the pickling liquid in a pan and bring to the boil.
- When boiling pour over the fennel and carrots and cover with tin foil and leave whilst we cook the pork.
- Season your pork tenderloin with salt and pepper.
- Wrap the pork tenderloin in the bacon.
- Transfer to an oven at 200°C or 400°F and cook for 12-15 minutes.
- After 10 minutes remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes under a foil tent.
- Cut the cucumber into slices, 5-7mm thick at an angle.
- Whilst the tenderloin is resting sear the Cucumber slices in the pan that the pork was cooked in.
- Toast the hazelnuts in a dry pan.
- Now carve your pork and get creative with your presentation.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1251Total Fat: 69gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 48gCholesterol: 245mgSodium: 4072mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 9gSugar: 46gProtein: 91g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.