I’ve long been intrigued by the ideas of a creamy white chicken chili, so I went ahead and worked on my own version of this unusual spicy treat!
I’ve seen lots of white chicken chili recipes over the last few years and I have erred between scorn and intrigued so a few months ago I figured I would give it a try, I was pleasantly surprised and have spent the last few weeks working on tweaking and simplifying my approach to work in a slow cooker.
It took me almost two years to put my regular beef chili recipe up here and now I have a whole new one this year too, it still feels a little unusual having lots of the same flavours associated with a beef chili but combined with a creamy chicken sauce but I love it.
Whilst working on this recipe I even found some Monterey Jack Cheese, now I am sure it was just the stuff I found here in rural Hungary but it was disgusting and went in the bin and I went with some rather garishly coloured cheddar instead.
This white chicken chili recipe is definitely not for those that are ‘challenged’ when it comes to coriander or cilantro as it is known across the pond, it majors in it and cumin as the flavour base, utilising both ground coriander and fresh coriander.
Apparently there are ‘real scientific’ reasons for people not liking coriander, that ‘scientific’ reason is that they are mad and those people should not be trusted 😉
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 4 Chicken Thighs Bone in skin on
- 150 g Onion Diced
- 6 Cloves Garlic Mashed
- 3 Green Chili Chopped
- 1 Tsp Ground Corriander
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 350 g Cooked White Beans
- 350 ml Chicken Stock* See note
- 200 g Sweet Corn Frozen, canned or fresh are all just fine
- 200 ml Double Cream Heavy Cream in the US
- 150 ml Sour Cream
- Layer the onions on the base of the slow cooker and add the chicken thighs on top.
- Now sprinkle over the garlic, chili, white beans and sweet corn.
- Mix the coriander, cumin and cayenne pepper with the chicken stock and pour over the food and then cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- After 4 or 8 hours dig out your chicken thighs and strip out the bone, remove the skin and shred before returning to the slow cooker.
- Pour in the double cream and sour cream then mix and bring back to temperature.
- Serve topped with cheese and chopped coriander leaves.