This baked feta cheese recipe is bristling with light & zingy Mediterranean flavours, fresh herbs & vegetables, it cooks in under 30 minutes.
Mediterranian Feta Cheese.
The flavours in the recipe just scream summer to me, sweet cherry tomatoes, sweet pepper, and fresh herbs are all abundant.
I love using cherry tomatoes, and grow several varieties for their sweetness and beautiful colour. You will find them in everything from my Panzanella salad to my insanely good tomato consomme with tortellini.
They also make the perfect complementary bed for salty and sour baked feta cheese.
This recipe is very much the epitome of simplicity because it takes just 10 minutes of light chopping. Then you chuck everything into a gratin bowl and throw it in a hot oven!
Add a few more fresh herbs and eat it right from the bowl! Genius hey?
This recipe is definitely one where you can play pretty fast and loose.
You can add or take away ingredients as you see fit, so long as they cook quickly then you are fine.
I will often add chilli, celery, courgette (zucchini) and green beans.
You can of course use different colour peppers too!
One of my favourite variations of this is to add Hungarian hot wax peppers, these are about the same heat as Jalapeno and a really delicious heat.
You can even add things like broccoli or cauliflower cut into smaller florets. This will give the dish a more autumnal vibe!
I typically eat this feta bake with nothing but a crisp glass of white wine and some crusty bread.
I find it perfectly enough for a light meal and you can even get away with a wee dessert too.
I’ve also served this with a really simply roasted chicken leg or pork chop too and it is delicious.
This baked feta cheese recipe is the epitome of summer food, fresh cherry sweet cherry tomatoes and bell pepper join fragrant herbs as the perfect complement to sour and salty cheese.
- 200 g (7 oz) Feta Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 400 g (2 Cups) Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Large Yellow Pepper
- 1 Medium Red Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Oregano Leaves
- Fistful Fresh Basil Leaves
- 2 Tsp Honey
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and add them to a large bowl.
- Slice the garlic into slices as finely as you can and add them to the tomatoes.
- Peel, top and tail the red onion, then cut it in half and slice into 5mm thick strips from top to tail.
- Break up the onion and add to the bowl.
- Remove the seeds from the yellow pepper, slice into 5mm thick strips and guess what? Into the bowl!
- Add in the oregano & basil followed by the olive oil, salt and black pepper.
- Toss to coat everything well.
- Cut the feta cheese in half and gently toss in the vegetables taking care not to break it up.
- Pile the vegetables into two 12 x 18 cm gratin bowls reserving a few bits to sprinkle over the cheese.
- Drizzle over the honey and then transfer to a hot oven.
- Cook at 220°C or 450°F for 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 484Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 2095mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 6gSugar: 12gProtein: 18g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.