This delicious mango salad features a hint of chilli, a bit of lime and some feta, it gets its body from the woefully underused millet!
This delicious main course salad contains ingredients that in the main are available all year round. It is light, nutritious and packed full of flavour.
At the heart of the recipe is some toasted millet. A relatively new ingredient in my cooking arsenal but one that I have come to love using.
This is then joined by feta cheese which provides a salty-sour note, mango for sweetness and chilli for heat.
I love feta and it really does work so well with a little sweetness as this baked feta cheese with tomatoes and honey demonstrates.
This recipe has a very similar flavour profile to my ham and cheese salad recipe with pickled peaches, however this one is vegetarian.
It is incredibly simple to make but it is very much best served at room temperature. As a result, you need to show a little patience!
Preparing in Advance.
The great thing about this recipe is that is can be prepared in advance and even in bulk.
Once cooked the millet will last for 4-5 days in the fridge. Do not dress the millet with the lime juice and oil before storing.
The mango can also be sliced and prepared and if covered with cling film will be fine in the fridge for a couple of days.
If you omit the salad leaves and add them before serving you can even prepare the rest of the salad.
It will last for a 3-4 of days in the fridge in an airtight container.
For me, this is a main course salad that just begs to be eaten in the garden on a sunny day with a glass of wine.
However, it does work really well stuffed into a lunch box and taken to work.
You can even use it as a side salad, it is particularly good with bacon wrapped pork tenderloin!
This bright, light yet filling main course mango salad hits the flavour motherload with hot, sour, sweet and salty flavour sensations all represented.
- 1 Mango
- 50 g (1.75 oz) Lambs Lettuce
- 75 g (2.65 oz) Millet
- 1 Lime
- 150ml (5.1 fl oz) Water
- 5 g (0.2 oz) Butter
- Pinch of Salt
- 75 g (2.65 oz) Feta Cheese
- 75 g (2.65 oz) Cucumber
- 1 Medium Hot Red Chilli Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Place a frying pan with a lid on a medium high heat.
- When it is hot add the millet and toast for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the water, add the butter, a generous pinch of salt and then squeeze in the juice of half of the lime juice.
- Bring to a boil, then add a lid.
- Reduce the temperature to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow the millet to cool for 30 minutes with the lid on.
- Cut the Mango into long strips.
- Deseed and shred the chilli.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthways then remove the seeds.
- Then shred the body of the cucumber with a vegetable peeler.
- Clean the salad leaves.
- Crumble the feta cheese.
- When you are ready to serve, place the mango under a searingly hot broiler for 2 minutes.
- Pour the olive oil into the millet and squeeze in the other half of the lime juice.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well before serving.
Much of this recipe can be prepared in advance, see the main text for details.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 436mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 5gSugar: 27gProtein: 9g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.