Peach and feta salad, a delicious and light meal that adds puy lentils, pine nuts & rocket into the mix with an easy lightly spiced dressing.
This delicious recipe works wonderfully as a light vegetarian main course salad, a lunch munch or even as a side salad!
Feta Cheese Salad with Fruit
This feta cheese salad with seared peaches and rocket ploughs a rich seam for me when it comes to salad.
I have a thing for fruit in a salad and more specifically fruit with cheese! It probably has it’s roots in the old British favourite, the ploughman’s lunch!
Feta is a beautiful cheese to pair with the sweetness of fruit, it is slightly sour and chalky with quite an intense salty flavour. I do something very similar with my mango salad with feta cheese and millet.
It is a match made in heaven, with both key elements contrasting and complementing each other.
This simple recipe is rounded out with some earthy puy lentils, and peppery rocket or arugula.
Finally a simple vinaigrette of cider vinegar and olive oil that is given a little piquancy courtesy of a splash of Tabasco sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of lentil?
Yes, green or brown lentils both make perfectly acceptable subs for the puy lentils in this recipe.
What is rocket?
A question often asked by my US-based readers, rocket is exactly the same as arugula. Arugula as a name has its roots in Italian whereas rocket has its roots in French, but the plant is the same.
Can I grill the peaches?
Yes, of course, either throw them on the BBQ or use a griddle pan.
Do I have to use pine nuts?
No, I add them for texture, but they are pricey.
If you want to save a little money and still add another dimension to this recipe try toasting off some sunflower seeds!
I usually eat this peach and feta cheese salad as a light main course salad or even a starter.
I’d typically add a little griddled bread on the side, something like some “fingers” of focaccia are perfect.
But it is also superb as a side salad!
But sticking with the vegetarian vibe of this salad, a lovely piece of perfectly grilled tofu would also be wonderful!
I only recommend specific brands of equipment if I believe that they will genuinely help you. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask them in the comments section below the recipe.
- Non-stick frying pan, 24cm or 10″ minimum.
- Small saucepan 16-18cm or 6-7″.
- Sharp kitchen knife.
- Chopping board.
- Small jar for mixing dressing, you can use a bowl and fork or whisk instead.
- Salad or mixing bowl.
Summer salads are a great way of reducing time slaving over a hot stove. This seared peach and feta cheese salad does involve a little cooking but it is all very chilled and laid back.
For the Salad:
- 3 Ripe Peaches
- 150g (1 Cup) Feta Cheese
- 50g (2.5 Cups) Rocket aka Arugula
- 25g (3-4 Tbsp) Pine Nuts
- 50g (¼ Cup) Puy Lentils
- 1 Small (50g) Onion
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 50g (⅓ cup) Red Onion
- 1 Spring Onion
For the Dressing:
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Cider Vinegar
- Dash Tabasco Sauce or more if you like!
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ⅛ Tsp White Pepper
- Cut the small onion in half, don't bother peeling it, but trim off the "furry base" and add it to a small (16-18cm) saucpan.
- Add the bay leaves and puy lentils and enough water to cover the lentils by 4-5 cm (2")
- Add the pan to the heat and bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Cut the red onion in half, peel it, then cut it into half moon shapes as thinly as you can.
- Slice the spring onions into rounds as thinly as you can.
- Cut the peaches in half, remove the stone then cut each peach half into 4 wedges.
- Crumble the feta cheese.
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the dressing, I like to put them all into a small jar and give it a shake.
- Drain the lentils when cooked and discard the onion and bay leaves.
- Place the lentils in a bowl and add half of the dressing and mix well to coat.
- Heat a dry non-stick frying pan (24cm or 8") over a high heat and when the pan is hot toast the pine nuts, taking care not to burn them, then set them aside.
- Return the pan to the heat and sear the peaches for 60 seconds on each side.
- Place all of the ingredients into a bowl with the exception of the lentils and pine nuts, add the remaining dressing then gently mix together.
- Sprinkle in the lentils and pine nuts serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 589Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 733mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 7gSugar: 28gProtein: 16g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.