Pasta is always great for the quick win and in this asparagus pasta recipe it is coated in an asparagus puree and then served with blanched asparagus spears. It is then served with some great quality wafer thin Parma ham. A perfect, simple summer 30-minute meal!
Ham and Asparagus Pasta.
The asparagus season is torturously short and I make no apologies for milking it for all it is worth. As far as I am concerned I cannot think of a vegetable I yearn for more or miss more when it is gone.
I am sure a huge part of that is because of the shortness of the season. You can of course now get Asparagus pretty much all year round, but to be honest it is poor!
Asparagus is an ingredient that is best as fresh as possible and stuff with thousands of food miles is frankly bland.
Mine comes fresh out of the dirt in my garden although I know that is a rarity.
But you should definitely make the most of it between May and July!
Simple Flavours and Asparagus.
When it comes to cooking asparagus I usually opt for simple techniques and flavours. This asparagus pasta recipe is no different!
The puree for this recipe is very similar to the base for my cream of Asparagus Soup. There is less butter and less cream and as this is a coating for pasta it is a little thicker.
Technique wise it is just cooked in butter until very soft and then blended with cream.
We add a little mint at the end as it is a flavour that marries perfectly with asparagus.
But the mint is added right at the end to keep it bright fresh and zingy.
Asparagus with Pasta…
This not the first asparagus with pasta recipe I have here on my site.
If it is an idea you like then you should also check out my Asparagus and Pea Casarecce Pasta recipe. A recipe featuring both feta cheese and chili and is a great vegetarian option.
If you want something a little more hearty try this asparagus and pasta soup!
Either way, whatever you do, buy asparagus. If you blink it will be gone for another year.
Don’t worry though you can be sure that there will be more asparagus recipes heading your way in the coming weeks!
- 200 g Trimmed Asparagus
- 20 g Butter
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 200 g Penne Pasta
- 70 g Parma Ham
- 50 g Peas
- 100 ml Double Cream
- 24 Mint Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Cut the asparagus spears from the stalks and then chop the stalks in to 1cm lengths.
- Mince the garlic.
- Let the butter in a small pan over a medium heat
- When the butter has melted add the garlic and chopped asparagus stalks and cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Whilst this is happening tear the Parma ham in to strips.
- Now is a good time to bring a pan of generously salted water to boil.
- Once the asparagus is soft add the peas which are defrosted if frozen and cook for another 2 minutes.
- By now the water should be boiling, so add the pasta and cook as per instructions.
- Add the cream to the peas, heat until almost boiling and them blend to form a puree.
- 2 minutes before you drain the pasta, add the asparagus spears to the pasta. I like to drop a sieve in the pan so that I do not coat the asparagus with the puree, that is purely for presentation purposes.
- Pass the puree though a mesh sieve and return to the pan.
- Finely slice the mint leaves and add to the warm puree just before you drain the pasta.
- Drain the pasta and asparagus spears and then stir through the sauce.
- Finally serve dropping in the ham as you spoon out the pasta.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 525 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 101mg Sodium: 747mg Carbohydrates: 47g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 5g Protein: 21g