Soup with pasta is a well-trodden way of adding bulk to a simple often light recipe. This tomato and asparagus soup takes advantage of both the pantry and the best of early summer ingredients. It is also a recipe that takes just 30 minutes to cook.
Soup With Pasta.
It often turns a lunch soup into a main course soup and that is firmly where this soup fits.
This soup perfectly combines old season store cupboard favourites like Orecchiette pasta and tomato passata with really exciting new season produce.
Wild garlic and Asparagus hitting the shelves really is a sign of summer sweeping in.
You may think that the addition of Anchovies is an odd one in this asparagus soup with pasta but it works. They add a real hefty depth of flavour without being fishy.
Cooking With Asparagus.
Asparagus is often cooked as a side dish like I do with these confit duck leg bonbons.
I suppose that could be something to do with the cost and short growing season. But as I have asparagus growing in the garden I am a little more experimental in its use.
I even puree it down to create a sauce for this ham and asparagus pasta recipe!
The key to cooking asparagus is the same as most vegetables, and that is timing.
You need to avoid overcooking it as it will go limp and soggy, it will also lose much of its flavour.
As a result, you need to cook quickly. It does not matter whether that is in liquid like this or over direct heat like a grill or BBQ.
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 Anchovy Fillets
- 100 g Onion
- 500 ml Hot Vegetable stock
- 50 ml White Wine
- 200 ml Tomato Passata
- 1/4 Tsp Tabasco Sauce
- 100 g Orecchiette Pasta
- 100 g Asparagus Spears
- 50 g Wild Garlic
- Finely dice the onion, then slice the wild garlic leaves into 1cm strips and finely dice the stems.
- Prepare the asparagus by snapping off the woody section and cut into 2.5cm sections leaving the tips a little longer.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan over a low/medium heat and add the anchovy fillets and onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add in the wine, vegetable stock, Tabasco and passata and cook for 10 minutes covered with a lid, now is a good time to check for seasoning and add salt and pepper as required.
- Add the pasta and cook for 8 minutes or so, this will vary depending on the pasta. You want it to still be a little too al dente and it will finish off cooking with the asparagus and wild garlic.
- Stir in the asparagus and wild garlic stems and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the wild garlic leaves.
Serve with lots of fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 3mg Sodium: 885mg Carbohydrates: 37g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g Protein: 9g