The very best of early summer ingredients make this tomato, wild garlic and asparagus soup recipe a huge flavour sensation!
Early Summer Soup.
This soup perfectly combines old season store cupboard favourites like Orecchiette pasta and tomato passata with really exciting new season produce.
It is packed full of flavours that really do work well together and the pasta make it hearty enough to become a full meal!
Wild garlic adds a delicious “zing” as well as a garlic flavour.
Anchovies give the tomato base a really meaty note and the asparagus stands out as the star of the recipe.
Do not throw out those asparagus stems though because you can use them to make my cream of asparagus soup!
What is Wild Garlic?
The only ingredient that people may find new in this recipe is wild garlic.
For those of you who are not familiar with it, it is delicious!
AKA ramsons and broadleaf garlic, it is native across huge swathes of Europe and can be foraged in many places.
Of course, it tastes like garlic but it is mellower, sweeter and has a “greener” taste than bulb garlic.
Aside from this recipe, one of my favourite uses for it is to make a wild garlic pesto!
If you can not get any then you can replace it in this recipe with roasted garlic. You can find instructions for roasting garlic in this roasted garlic pasta recipe.
Vegan and Vegetarian Variants.
The easiest way to make this recipe vegetarian is to omit the anchovies.
However, they add a savoury sense of meatiness that it would be good to replace.
You can do this by adding chopped olives towards the end.
If you want to get more exotic you can add umeboshi which are a umami packed Japanese plums.
Capers will give the dish a different vibe but will add in some great flavour that you are taking out by omitting the anchovies.
Naturally, if you want to turn this dish vegan you need to use egg-free pasta!
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 Anchovy Fillets
- 100 g Onion
- 500 ml Vegetable stock
- 50 ml White Wine
- 200 ml Tomato Passata
- 1/4 Tsp Tabasco Sauce
- 100 g Orecchiette Pasta
- 100 g Asparagus Spears
- 50 g Wild Garlic
- Cut the onion into a 2-3mm dice.
- Slice the wild garlic leaves into 1cm strips and chop the stems as finely as you can.
- Prepare the asparagus by snapping off the woody section and discarding.
- Cut the remaining asparagus into 1.5cm sections leaving the tips a little longer.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan over a low/medium heat.
- Add the anchovy fillets and onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add in the wine, vegetable stock, Tabasco and passata.
- Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta and cook for 3 minutes less than is says on the packet.
- Stir in the asparagus and wild garlic stems and cook for 2 minutes.
- Check the pasta is cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the wild garlic leaves.
Serve with lots of fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 3mg Sodium: 885mg Carbohydrates: 37g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g