This quick and simple chicken and prawn soup is influenced by Thai flavours, it is hot, sour, sweet and salty all tempered with coconut milk.
Thai Style Soups.
This recipe is another soup recipe that is loosely based on a Tom Yum Soup. It is hot, sour, sweet and salty, essentially the motherload of flavour profiles!
It is a light but filling main course soup that mixes seafood and chicken.
Taking just 30 minutes to cook it is also one that can be pulled together in a hurry.
It is a perfect midweek meal as far as I am concerned.
There are two ingredients in this recipe that may not be available in your store cupboard if you are rustling this up tonight.
The first is dried shrimp paste, it is something I always have around. It is an important ingredient in the curry pastes I use in recipes like my Thai Broccoli and Cauliflower soup or my Thai Red Duck Curry.
If you are serious about cooking South-East Asian food you should try and score some. But if you are cooking this tonight and you are running short then omit it and add more fish sauce to taste.
The second is fresh lemongrass, I rarely have it in the fridge just hanging around.
As a sub, you can use lemon or lime zest although you can use juice too, again just add this to taste.
I do often use lemongrass paste in place of fresh lemongrass.
It is a wonderful product with a long shelf life, the amount needed varies from brand to brand and it is available in good Asian supermarkets.
The biggest risk of messing up this simple soup is in the seasoning.
This is true of so much cooking, but especially so when wielding that bottle of fish sauce or soy sauce.
You need to start with a stock base that is not too salty and then add the fish sauce a little at a time. You can always add more but you can never take any away!
As a general rule I make my own stock, but I do have a local brand that I keep in the cupboard to use when I have none in.
Find your brand and stick with it!
- 300 ml Chicken Stock
- 35 g Ginger
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Stick Lemon Grass
- 1 Tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 150 ml Coconut Milk
- 1 Tsp Dried Shrimp Paste
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Honey
- 200 g Chicken Thighs
- 200 g Peeled Shrimp
- 2 Spring Onions
- If your prawns are frozen defrost under cold running water.
- Cut the ginger into 5mm thick coins.
- Bruise the garlic with the side of a knife and repeat with the lemongrass but roughly chop this as well.
- Cut the chicken into 1cm dice.
- Finely slice the spring onion into 2mm thick slices.
- Heat the chicken stock over a low heat and add in the ginger, garlic, lemongrass and sweet chilli sauce.
- Cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the aromatics from the stock and pour in the coconut milk and bring the soup back to a simmer.
- Add in the shrimp paste, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar and honey and test for seasoning, the broth should taste sweet, sour, hot and salty.
- Add in three quarters of the spring onion and the chicken and poach the chicken for 5 minutes.
- Then add in the prawns and poach for 2-3 minutes, the chicken should now be cooked.
- Serve with the remaining spring onions sprinkled on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 620Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 345mgSodium: 2072mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 54g