Paneer tikka kebabs, spiced cubes of Indian “cottage cheese” marinated in a tandoori spiced yoghurt and quickly cooked until charred.
These delicious munches can be cooked under a grill or broiler or in a hot oven, in an air fryer or even on a BBQ and I have hints for all four!
Tandoori Paneer Tikka Chunks.
It is no secret that I have a thing for Indian inspired flavours and tikka is one of my favourites.
Tikka are essentially bite sized chinks of food marinated in a Tandoori marinade with a yoghurt base.
These paneer tikka kebabs join lamb tikka kebabs, chicken tikka and a wonderful salmon tikka. And if you love tikka then be sure to check out my Amritsari fish fry recipe which is very much in the vein of “same but different”!
They are super simple to cook and can be rustled up in under half an hour although you can mariade for up to four hours if you want to get stuff ready in advance.
They cook in right around 10 minutes. You can slide them under the grill or broiler, pop them in the oven or air fryer and even drop them on the barbecue.
I like to serve them as a light main but they make a great starter.
Frequently Asked Questions.
What is the best way to cook these kebabs?
My personal favourite way to cook them is on the barbecue. However, since returning to the UK BBQ weather is far less frequent.
As a result, these are most often cooked under a fiercely hot grill (broiler) in our house.
What are the timing and temperatures for alternative cooking methods?
Place over direct heat and turn every minute or two making sure that the skewers do not burn.
Air Fryer Method:
Preheat an air fryer to 200°C or 400°F, spray the basket with release spray and add the kebabs. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
Cookin these paneer tikka kebabs in the oven works best if you have a fan assisted oven. Preheat the oven as hot as it will go and place the kebabs on a wire rack.
Cook for 12-15 minutes or until nicely coloured.
Is a long marinade essential?
No, not at all, it is an option that allows you to get your dish ready early.
Unlike a meat or fish option, the flavours do not really “impregnate” the paneer but sit on the surface. As a result, you can go straight from coating to cooking with no problems.
Paneer tikka kebabs are simply glorious served with a salad, some form of dressing and a tandoori style naan bread.
You can also use roti or chapati and wrap it all together to make some fab paneer wraps.
I only name-check brands of equipment if I think they make a material difference to a recipe. If you have any questions feel free to ask them in the comments section below the recipe.
- Mixing bowl.
- Spoon for peeling ginger.
- Mixing bowl.
- Kitchen knife.
- Chopping board.
- Skewers, I prefer bamboo skewers with a square profile.
- Weighing scales and or measuring cups and spoons.
- Kitchen tongs.
Tandoori paneer tikka skewers are a delicious vegetarian Indian-inspired dish that are just as good cooked on a BBQ as they are in the oven or in an air fryer.
- 350g (12oz) Paneer
- 4 Tbsp Yoghurt
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 15g (Half of a Thumb Sized Piece) Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri Chill Powder
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 Tsp Ground Amchoor
- 1 Tbsp Dried Fenugreek
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 Red Onion
- Peel and grate the ginger.
- Peel and mash the garlic.
- Add the garlic and ginger to a bowl big enough to hold the paneer.
- Pour in the yoghurt followed by the salt, herbs and spices and mix to form paste.
- Add the paneer and gently toss to coat well.
- Cover and allow to sit in the fridge until you are ready to cook, you can do this up to 4 hours in advance.
- Cut the green pepper into 25mm cubes.
- Peel the red onion then top and tail it before cutting into quarters, then cut each quarter in half widthways and finally break the pieces into individual leaves.
- Thread the paneer onto skewers (soak the skewers for 30 minutes if using bamboo) alternating with green pepper and red onion.
- Heat a grill or broiler as hot as it will go then cook the paneer skewers until they are nicely coloured on all sides which will take around 10 minutes.
For notes on how to cook in an oven or air fryer scroll up to the frequently asked questions section.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 619Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 1635mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 36g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.