Spanish chicken and chorizo tray bake is a delicious meal, all you do is chop some veggies, add some chicken and throw it all in the oven.
This dish takes around 40-45 minutes to cook, but 35 of that is waiting for it to cook in the oven, making it a really low-maintenance dinner.
Spanish Roasted Chicken Legs with Veggies
Throwing a load of stuff onto a baking tray and sticking it in the oven is one of the easiest ways of getting dinner on the table.
And whilst my website has it’s fair share of complex recipes, I love lazy dinners too!
This Spanish chicken leg and chorizo tray bake is the latest in a series of recipes that take this simple approach.
The veggies I use in this recipe are peppers, red onion, garlic and tinned artichoke hearts, flavoured with olive oil, sherry vinegar and rosemary.
The chicken gets a light coating of smoked paprika and it is all joined by the majesty that is Spanish chorizo sausage!
Then all you do is chuck it in the oven, grab a glass of what you fancy and wait for dinner.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use different vegetables?
Yes definitely, go to town and clear out that vegetable rack! I have purposely used relatively quick-cooking vegetables for this recipe to ensure that things are nicely cooked in the time it takes to cook the chicken.
If you are planning to use roots like potatoes, swede or turnip, you will need to either cook them longer or par-boil them.
Can I use artichokes in oil from a jar rather than a tin?
Yes, they have a different texture but they will work fine in this recipe.
Is Spanish chorizo the same as Mexican chorizo sausage?
This question is often asked by visitors from the US and Canada. No Spanish and chorizo are very different things and are not interchangeable.
Mexican chorizo is a “fresh” sausage, whereas the Spanish variety is a cured sausage.
Do I have to use sherry vinegar?
No, you could substitute it for red wine vinegar or even cider vinegar, but if you can stretch to sherry vinegar give it a try it is delicious!
I like to serve this delicious Spanish-influenced chicken and chorizo tray bake with some toasted bread.
The roasted vegetables are awesome scooped onto the toast, be sure to keep a slice back to mop up those oils when you have finished.
Some garlic bread also works really well with this dish!
If you want a salad, then some dressed salad leaves or a simple green side salad is perfect.
I only mention brands of equipment if I think that they make a material difference to a recipe. But if you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the comments section below the recipe.
- 35cm x 22cm (14″ x 9″) baking tray.
- Chopping board.
- Kitchen knife.
- Large mixing bowl.
- Weighing scales and or measuring cups and spoons.
This delicious and easy Spanish-inspired chicken tray bake is loaded with vegetables and chorizo sausage and is given a vibrant zing thanks to sherry vinegar and smoked paprika.
- 2 (500g Total) Chicken Legs
- 1 Large (225g or 1½ Cups) Red Onion
- 2 Bell Peppers (I use 1 Red and 1 Green)
- 400g (14oz) Tin Artichoke Hearts
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 100g (3½ oz) Spanish Chorizo Sausage
- 1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- Pinch Regular Salt
- Top and tail the red onion, then peel it and cut it into 8 wedges, then throw it into a large mixing bowl.
- Remove the seeds from the pepper and cut them into thick 2cm (¾") thick strips and throw it in with the onions.
- Cut the artichoke hearts in half and add them to the mixing bowl.
- Add the garlic cloves to the bowl, don't bother peeling them, we will squish the roasted garlic from them before serving.
- Cut the chorizo into 5mm (¼") rings and add them to the bowl.
- Remove the leaves from the rosemary, roughly chop them and sprinkle them over the veggies.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and all of the sherry vinegar over the veggies and give everything a good mix. Then transfer this to a 35cm x 22cm (14" x 9") baking tray.
- Sprinkle the coarse sea salt over over the veggies.
- Mix the regular salt with the smoked paprika and remaining olive oil and use it to coat the chicken legs and place them on the veggies.
- Transfer the tray to the oven and cook for 25 minutes at 180°C or 350°F, turn the heat up to 220°C or 430°F for a final 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, dig out the garlic cloves, squeeze out the puree and mix it with the veggies.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 861Total Fat: 50gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 330mgSodium: 1532mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 71g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.