This delicious Thai Green Chicken Curry recipe is gloriously simple and takes less than 25 minutes to cook!
The Classic Thai Curry.
This simple curry recipe must be one of the most well known Thai dishes. The recipes take on many forms but in the main it is sweet, sour, hot and salty which is all tempered with coconut milk.
Most of my chicken curry recipes are Indian, very much brown comfort food at its best.
This classic Thai chicken curry follows those ideas and like many Thai Curries, it is much more “soupy” than their Indian brethren. I also have a delicious Thai green pork curry too!
If you want to try another Far East Asian curry then this Vietnamese chicken curry comes highly recommended!
Should You Use Homemade or Fresh Curry Paste?
As with many things in life, there is no right answer to this question!
It really does depend on what you want to achieve, yes a freshly made Curry Paste is glorious.
However, they all involve some serious shopping and depending on where you are in the world that shopping can be challenging.
If you are not a regular cook of this type of food store-bought pastes are often a convenient and sensible option.
Maesri and Lobo are my two favourite brands for Thai Curry Pastes, but go crazy, try them all and find something you like then stick with it.
Additions and Serving Suggestions.
I find this dish to be perfectly satisfying as a light meal just as it is, however, if you want to make it go further there are a few things that you can do.
The first is to add a side, this coconut rice would be perfect.
The other option and my preferred option would be to increase the number of vegetables.
Green pepper or baby sweetcorn are great additions as are fistfuls of spring onion.
You can even throw in some veggies from that bag of frozen vegetables that you have at the back of your freezer!
This delicious Thai Chicken Curry is a stark contrast to the typical view of a curry as being brown and rich. This is light, vibrant and full of lots of fantastic zingy flavours and a real kick of spice.
- 400 g (14 oz) Chicken Thighs
- 50 g (3 Tbsp) Thai Green Curry Paste
- 100 g (3/4-1 Cup) Green Beans
- 300 ml (1 1/4 Cups) Coconut Milk
- 100 g (2/3 Cup) Bamboo Shoots
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1/2 Lime Juice Only
- 10 Dried Kaffir Lime Leaves
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Top and tail the beans.
- Heat a wok over a high heat and add the oil.
- Add the curry paste.
- Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir fry for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Pour over the coconut milk and add the lime leaves then cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in the green beans and bamboo shoots and cook for 2 minutes.
- Season with the fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar to taste.
- Remove the dried lime leaves before serving and sprinkle with coriander leaves.
If you are using fresh kaffir lime leaves reduce the amount by half and tear them up before adding. There is no need to fish out the fresh leaves.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 853Total Fat: 66gSaturated Fat: 36gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 256mgSodium: 1905mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 53g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.