This easy Thai salmon curry goes from your fridge to your table in just 20 minutes it is spicy, creamy with coconut milk & utterly delicious
Red Thai Fish Curry.
This dish definitely falls into the curry in a hurry category! My timings say 20 minutes but in reality, once you are familiar with the recipe it is closer to 15.
Most importantly it packs much more flavour than that short cooking time would indicate. It actually sits neatly alongside my Thai prawn curry recipe!
The hot, sour, sweet and salty flavours closely associated with Thai food is really a great love of mine.
Here they sit wonderfully with rich and flavoursome salmon.
At the heart of this recipe is a Thai red curry paste, make sure you spend wisely. This is where the majority of your flavour comes from!
I kind of assume that the majority of people will use store bought curry pastes. For the record, my two favourite brands for red curry paste are Lobo and Maesri.
But I am sure that there are a few of you out there like me. If you are intrigued making fresh Thai Red Curry paste at home is really easy.
Next on the list to look at is Thai Basil, it can be tricky to find depending on your location.
There is no direct substitution, but swapping it out for regular basil with 25% of mint is a pleasing alternative.
Finally, we have the Mangetout, I used to mock their use at one point in time. But they are great in this curry, they offer a crunch and sweetness.
You can replace with snow peas which seem much more common in the US for my readers on t’other side of the puddle or even green beans!
I typically serve this recipe with some simple Jasmine rice. This is a quick dinner recipe and as such I like my sides to be equally quick!
A great alternative rice idea would be this simple vegetable stir fried rice!
Curries can occasionally be challenging to cook with ingredient lists as long as your arm... This salmon curry is not like that, it has a modest list of requirements and takes just 20 minutes to cook!
- 350 g (12 oz) Skinless Salmon Fillet
- 165 ml (2/3 Cup) Coconut Milk
- 3 Tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1/2 Tsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Spring Onions
- 100 g (3/4 Cup) Mangetout
- 1 Tsp Lime Juice
- Thai Basil
- 1 Tsp Neutral Cooking Oil
- Finely slice your spring onions keeping the white part separate from the green part.
- Heat a wok over a high heat and when hot add the oil.
- Add the white parts of the spring onion and then the Thai red curry paste.
- Stir fry for 60 seconds.
- Pour in the coconut milk and add the fish sauce and brown sugar, then stir to form a sauce.
- Reduce the heat to medium then add in your salmon fillets and cook for 3-4 minutes napping with the sauce occasionally.
- Add the green parts of the spring onion, lime juice and mangetout peas and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until your salmon is cooked to your liking.
- Serve sprinkled with Thai Basil.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 565Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 532mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 43g