Spicy chicken mince pasta in a tomato sauce laced with Worcestershire sauce is a quick and easy midweek dinner that everyone will love.
This simplified and stripped-back pasta sauce is based on a ragu but rather than low and slow cooking it comes together in under 30 minutes!
Quicker and Lazier Chicken Bolognese
You can’t beat pasta as the base of a simple midweek recipe, it is relatively frugal, filling, quick and easy to cook.
This spicy chicken mince pasta recipe is a lazy quick bolognese-style dish.
Given that it cooks in around 20 minutes it of course does not have the depth and complexity of a laboured ragu alla bolognese.
The sauce base is wonderful tomato passata and the spice comes courtesy of a combination of cayenne pepper and dried chilli flakes.
Add the pasta of your choice and dinner is served in around 25 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What sort of pasta should I use?
I like to make this spiced chicken pasta with rigatoni or mezzi rigatoni, but it is also great with flatter wider pasta like pappardelle, fettuccine and tagliatelle.
It’s also great with flat pasta like farfalle or heavier orecchiette.
Can I make this in advance?
The chicken mix can be made in advance. In fact, you can scale it up and make loads of it because it is also great in a toasted sandwich or on a baked potato!
Then all you have to do is heat it up, boil some pasta and 15 minutes later dinner is done.
What is tomato passata?
This is a question often asked by my US-based readers, passata is called tomato puree in the US.
Can I use tinned tomatoes?
Yes, but you will not get quite as smooth a sauce to coat the chicken, but use a small 225g (7oz) tin of crushed tomatoes as a direct substitution and off you go.
Can I make this more or less spicy?
Yes, spice is incredibly personal and you could use your experience of your tolerance levels to make this dish good for you!
I find this fairly modestly spiced using the levels I suggest and I double these quantities for our dinner.
For me, it is a simple one-bowl dinner, ideal for curling up on the sofa with a bit of TV.
If you wanted to do something a little different, then adding a simple herb crumb adds a great texture. I often use the lemon and parsley crumb from my sea bream fillet recipe.
Another nice variation would be to increase the greens and wilt through some rocket (arugula) or even some baby spinach.
I only name-check brands of equipment if I think they make a material difference to a recipe. If you have any questions feel free to ask them in the comments section below the recipe.
- 30cm or 12″ frying pan.
- 20cm or 8″ saucepan.
- Chopping board.
- Kitchen knife.
- Colander or sieve.
- Weighing scales and or measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing and serving spoons.
- Small jug or ladle to save pasta cooking water.
This delicious and simple spicy chicken mince pasta recipe gets its heat from a combination of cayenne pepper and dried chilli flakes and the whole thing cooks in under 30 minutes.
- 250g (9oz) Minced Chicken
- 1 (35g) Banana Shallot
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ Tsp Dried Basil
- ½ Tsp Dried Oregano
- ¼ Tsp Dried Chilli Flakes
- ¼ Tsp Sugar
- ¼ Tsp Salt + Extra for boiling pasta
- 200g (¾-1 Cup) Tomato Passata
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 180g (6-7oz) Dried Pasta, I use mezzi rigatoni
- Cut the shallot in half, peel it then dice it as finely as you can.
- Peel the garlic cloves and dice them as finely as you can.
- Heat a 30cm or 12" frying pan over a medium heat and when it is hot add the olive oil.
- Add the diced shallot and garlic and cook for 2 minutes stirring regularly.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the minced chicken and fry for 5 minutes stirring regularly.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir through the cayenne pepper, basil, oregano, chilli flakes, sugar and salt.
- Pour in the tomato passata and Worcestershire sauce, stir and allow to cook simmer gently whilst you cook the pasta.
- Cook the pasta in a 20cm or 8" saucepan in well-salted water, I use 1½ teaspoons of salt in a pan this size.
- Drain the pasta reserving 75-100ml (approximately ⅓ cup) of the cooking water.
- Stir the pasta through the chicken adding as much water as needed to form a nice sauce.
- Serve with lots of fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 527Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 475mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 37g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.