This simple stir fry broccoli recipe features sesame, ginger and chilli and makes for a perfect side to an Asian main course!
Quick Stir-Fried Vegetables.
This stir fry side dish recipe is one I have been cooking for years and it is one of my favourite ways to cook broccoli.
The flavour of the iron-rich broccoli makes for a wonderful side to everything from meat to fish.
Most stir fries would include the broccoli as I do with my beef and broccoli stir fry.
But is definitely meant as a side to roasted, poached or pan-fried meat or fish.
It is naturally vegan, although it would certainly not constitute a full meal or even the centrepiece of a meal.
It is quick to cook and the only thing that you need to ensure is that your wok has a lid. If it does not, then use a large wide-based frying pan instead.
This is because stir-frying the whole florets does not cook them enough.
As a result, the second part of the cooing involving steaming the broccoli in soy sauce is important, and for that, you need a lid.
This recipe is extremely versatile.
It works well with classic Chinese dishes like the char siu pork tenderloin pictured above.
But you should not feel restricted, sesame seeds and oil aside this is not a recipe that screams of the Chinese takeaway.
You can even swap out the broccoli for cauliflower and cook it for just 2-3 minutes longer and it works fantastically.
If you wanted a much bigger “takeaway” style dish then you could use the seasoning from this stir-fried cauliflower.
I’ve served this alongside a very British roast chicken and served it with a chicken gravy and it was delicious!
If you are looking for a quick and simple side dish for an Asian main course then stop, this stir fry broccoli recipe is the one for you!
- 300 g Broccoli Florets
- 30 g Ginger
- 1 Red Chilli Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- 50ml Light Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- Peel and cut the ginger into batons 5cm long and as thin as you can.
- Heat a wok over a high heat and add the sesame seeds.
- Toast until golden brown and then remove and set aside.
- Return the wok to the heat and when it is hot add the cooking oil.
- When the oil shimmers add the ginger and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the broccoli florets and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and a lid.
- Reduce the heat to medium and allow to steam for 5 minutes.
- Remove the seeds from the chilli then finely slice it into 1-2mm thick strands.
- Add in the sesame seeds, chilli and sesame oil, then toss before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1906mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.