Chinese chicken with black bean sauce is a takeout favourite, my version is quick, convenient & delicious and takes just over 15 minutes.
Almost all of that time is prep work, essential in any good stir fry and all of that preparation can be done hours in advance!
Super Quick Chinese Chicken Stir Fry.
Quick takeout-fakeout recipes are no stranger here on krumpli, this Chinese chicken with black bean sauce is in good company.
Now I’m certainly not averse to spending hours in the kitchen! But sometimes there just ain’t the time or the will to do so!
For me that means a stir fry, you can knock up this black bean chicken recipe in 15 minutes.
That does mean relying on jarred sauces but that is not a bad thing, they exist for this very purpose.
Blinging them up with a bit of oyster sauce, soy sauce and rice wine really does add an extra complexity and deliciousness to this recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions.
What brand of black bean sauce do you use?
I typically use Lee Kum Ke brand, they have both a black bean sauce and black bean sauce with garlic.
I use the one with garlic in my Ham Hock braised in Black Bean Sauce recipe, they are pretty much interchangeable, although the one with garlic means you can scale back the garlic in this recipe. If you wish of course!
Does it really cook that quickly?
Yes! But you most have your wok hot, fiercely hot.
It should shimmer and almost smoke before you add the oil. Most importantly, you must keep it hot throughout the cooking process.
It is also important to cut your ingredients properly, if you increase the sizes, they will take longer to cook. This in turn will lead to your ingredients stewing rather than frying.
Be sure to check the chicken has reached 73°C or 165°F before serving.
Is the chilli essential?
No not at all, it can be skipped if you are a chilli-phobe. I personally like the addition but it in no way defines the recipe.
You could call me a lazy cook, this Chinese chicken with black bean sauce gets served most often with plain rice, like so many of my stir fry recipes.
This is because it is so convenient! I can put the pan on to cook the rice before I start cooking and it just works out perfectly on timing.
A quick stir fry fakeaway is always welcome and this super quick chicken stir fry recipe is a fantastic frugal alternative to delivery!
- 300g (10oz) Boneless Chicken Thigh
- 1 Tsp Cornflour
- 1 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Rice Wine
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 75g (½ Cup) Onion
- 1 Small Green Pepper (125-150g)
- 75g (½-⅔ Cup) Carrot
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Red Chilli Pepper
- 3 Tbsp Black Bean Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1½ Tbsp Water
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- Cut the chicken thighs into slices 3-4mm thick and as long as the chicken thigh.
- Mix together the soy sauce, water, rice wine, sugar and cornflour.
- Add the sliced chicken, mix well and set aside.
- Top and tail the ocion and cut it into 8 wedges.
- Deseed the pepper and cut it into strips 3-4mm wide and 3-4cm long.
- Cut the carrot into batons 2-3mm in profile and 3-4cm long.
- Peel the garlic cloves and slice them as finely as you can.
- Cut the chilli pepper in half lengthways, deseed and then cut into batons as finely as you can.
- Mix together the black bean sauce, oyster sauce and water and set aside.
- Just before you begin to cook separate the chicken from the marinade, reserving the marinade.
- Heat your wok over high heat and when shimmering add the cooking oil.
- Add the garlic, chilli, onions, carrots and pepper and stir fry over a fierce heat for 2 minutes.
- Throw in the chicken and stir fry for 2-3 minutes
- Finally add in the sauce and reserved marinade and cook for a final 1-2 minutes
Garnish with lots of sliced spring onions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 183mgSodium: 1200mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 39g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.