This quick asparagus stir fry recipe demonstrates the versatility of an ingredient often thought of as very “western” centric.
Stir Fried Vegetables.
Like many people, I tend to consider stir fries as a main course or part of a multi-course meal.
But they are also a super quick and easy way to cook ingredients and knock up a quick side dish.
Just like my broccoli stir fry, this little number has a slight Asian leaning and it tastes incredible.
The great thing about cooking like this is the speed and the relative absence of liquid.
That means that the nutrients and flavour and not leeching into any cooking water and that means tastier food!
I would recommend a mild chilli for this recipe so as not to obliterate the gentle flavour of the asparagus.
As I have mentioned above this stir fry is a wonderfully versatile side dish.
I have mentioned meaty dishes that it works with but it would be the perfect accompaniment to fish.
It would also work really well alongside seitan or tofu for the vegans and vegetarians out there.
In fact, given the affinity that asparagus has with orange it would be a real winner with this air fryer tofu with orange.
When you think of asparagus a stir fry might not be your first thought. However, it is a gloriously simple and quick way to cook one of springs finest ingredients.
- 400 g (14 oz) Asparagus
- 1 Medium Hot Red Chilli Pepper
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- Snap the woody bases off the asparagus.
- Cut the remaining stalks of asparagus into 5-6cm lengths.
- Slice the garlic as finely as you can.
- Slice the chilli pepper on an angle removing the seeds if you wish.
- Heat a wok over a high heat, when hot add the cooking oil.
- Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 30 seconds.
- Throw in the asparagus and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and water and stir fry for a final 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and drizzle with the sesame oil before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 575mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.