Roasted or grilled, this heart of cabbage steak is a great side or vegetarian main course from the bit of the cabbage that is usually waste.
Heart of Cabbage.
I’ll open my “ode” to this recipe by saying, if the name cabbage steak bothers you, there is a little x button on the tab. If you press it I will go away!
I love cooking with cabbage, it is a glorious vegetable with loads of flavour but it is prone to being a bit “wasteful”, especially if you cook for two.
But you are always left with the heart of the cabbage. That used to go into our composter, but not any more.
Buoyed by my success with cauliflower steak I thought I would give cabbage a try.
It is GLORIOUS! I am now sad that I threw away so many cabbage hearts.
It has a deep cabbage flavour that mellows and becomes almost sweet as it roasts.
This is helped by the addition of both honey and balsamic vinegar.
Roast or BBQ?
Just like my cheddar cheese and rice stuffed mushrooms this recipe has two cooking methods.
Roasted in the oven or cooked on the BBQ, and just like the shrooms this makes the perfect vegetarian or vegan main course.
Vegetarian or Vegan main courses are often a little “limited” when it comes to grilling season. Well break this bad boy out, it is spectacular.
It takes around an hour to cook irrespective of the cooking method so feel free to choose whichever suits.
If you are cooking this for a vegan you should check where they stand on honey. You can replace with agave syrup if it is an issue.
My favourite way to serve this cabbage steak is at the centre of a vegetarian main.
I like to pair it with something like this roasted tomato salsa would be perfect.
I would also potentially add some potato wedges to complete the meal.
But the great thing about this recipe is the versatility. It really is just as comfortable as a side dish.
Roasting or grilling the heart of the cabbage like a steak is a great way to get a fantastic meal from a part of a vegetable that too often goes to waste.
- 350 g Cabbage Heart
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- Mix together the balsamic vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the cabbage heart and try and get it into all the nooks and crannies.
Cooking on the BBQ.
- When the BBQ is hot place the cabbage steak over the direct heat and sear for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Move to the indirect heat and close the lid and cook for 45 minutes.
- Brush over more of the sauce mix every 15 minutes.
Cooking in the Oven.
- Heat a frying pan that can be transferred to the oven over a high heat.
- Sear the cabbage steaks for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Pour over the remaining sauce and place in the oven.
- Cook at 200°C or 400°F for 45 minutes basting half way through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 600mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g