Roasted savoy cabbage cut into thick “steaks” and flavoured with fennel seeds, olive oil and sherry vinegar then slowly baked to perfection.
This delicious slowly cooked side dish is the perfect accompaniment to a host of roasted meats and vegetables.
Slowly Baked Cabbage
This slow roasted savoy cabbage recipe is the perfect way to change up the way you think about cooking cabbage.
Growing up it would have been boiled until it was almost grey and got that sulphurous aroma that convinced people that cabbage was not good.
Baking it gives it a beautiful sweetness and those charred edges are to die for. I do something similar in my heart of cabbage recipe aimed at using up the often-overlooked tougher heart of the cabbage.
I like to add some fennel seeds to these cabbage steaks and a little acidity with some Spanish sherry vinegar.
Then chuck it in the oven and forget it, it’s such a wonderful side dish!
And don’t worry about leftover cabbage, you can find loads of ways to use it up, my favourite is my cabbage and potato bake.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I cook this with white cabbage?
Yes, but you need to change the cooking temperatures a little. The slightly tougher nature of white cabbage means that it is better cooked at a higher temperature and cooked covered for longer.
Asa result, it should be cooked for 90 minutes, at 180°C or 350°F, but keep it covered for 60 minutes rather than 45.
Can I use another vinegar?
Yes, cider vinegar is the obvious substitute. But both red and white wine vinegar work well.
Can I use other flavourings?
Absolutely! Go wild and crazy, you can go for dried herbs like oregano, thyme or sage. Spices like ajwain seeds and cumin seeds are really good too.
Don’t be afraid to spice it up either, dried chilli flakes add a wonderful spicy vibe to dish.
Roasted savoy cabbage is a great dish to serve with Sunday lunch as far as I am concerned.
If you want to pair it with something vegetarian then how about this vegan meatloaf!
Cabbage is a much maligned vegetable but I love it, these roasted savoy cabbage "steaks" are a delicious and simple way to do something a little different with it.
- ½ Savoy Cabbage
- 1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 Tsbp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- ½-¾ Tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- Cut the cabbage in half making sure you cut right through the root and heart. Then cut two 25-35mm (1-1½") slices off each half making sure you keep the root to hold the slices together. Keep the offcuts for a different dish.
- Mix together the fennel seeds, olive oil and sherry vinegar in a bowl, then coat the cabbage on both sides slices using a pastry brush. Pay particular attention to the outer leaves.
- Sprinkle the cabbage with the sea salt on both sides.
- Place the cabbage slices on a roasting tray and cover them with tin foil.
- Roast in the oven at 170°C or 340°F for 45 minutes, then remove the foil and roast for a further 45-50 minutes until golden and the heart is tender.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1466mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.