Adding pasta to a soup is a long-standing way of adding bulk to simple flavours and this pasta with peas and ham in a broth embraces that idea to create a satisfyingly simple but filling dish for early spring!
Pasta with Peas and Ham in a Broth.
My latest recipe of pasta with peas and ham in a broth may sound unusual.
However, it is actually based on an old Italian recipe of pasta squares and peas in broth. AKA pasta e piselli in brodo, and it is stuffed full of all of my favourite things to eat!
It is a recipe that I believe hails from the Lazio region surrounding Rome. Although I am happy to be corrected on that.
It is also a recipe carrying on the theme of peas and ham. One that I explored in my recent pea and ham risotto with goats cheese recipe.
It is one of those stupidly simple recipes that manages to straddle being both light and filling all at the same time.
This is pretty much perfect for me at this time of year. But it is also a great way of getting a bright spring tasting dish on the menu all year round.
Pasta With Peas.
Whilst peas may not be the first vegetable that people associate with pasta it is a combination I use a lot.
Peas offer a wonderful notes of sweeteness in all sorts of recipes and I happen to think that pasta with peas is a heavenly combination.
In this paticular recipe that sweetness is the perfect counterpoint to the salty pancetta.
A combination that has been used many times before here on my site.
- Asparagus and peas pasta.
- Pesto spaghetti with peas and goats cheese.
- Pasta carbonara with peas.
- Squid ink spaghetti with salami and peas.
No doubt a combination that will also be used many times in the future.
Spring Is Springing.
In case you had not noticed it is April on Sunday! How the hell did that happen?
Anyway as a result of this many of our crops are in the ground. The first of our peas have managed to poke their head through the soil.
For that reason, we are very blazé about using up the last of our frozen peas. In fact looking back through my recipe archive it would seem that this time of the year really is ‘pea time’ for me.
I guess it is because I know I am 8-10 weeks away from topping up our freezer with another 12-15kg of fresh peas.
That, of course, does not count the ones I use fresh or just nibble on as a snack.
Yes I am perfectly happy nibbling on peas in the same way many people nibble on nuts or crisps. Crisps, for my American readers, are what you guys call chips!
Anyway, even if you are not trying to deplete your freezer stock, you should definitely give this pasta with peas recipe a run through the mill!
Pasta with Peas and Ham in Broth
- 75 g Onion Finely diced.
- 30 g Celery Finely diced.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 100 g Pancetta Cut into a 5mm dice.
- 200 g Frozen Peas
- 1 Tsp Tomato Puree
- 500 ml Chicken Stock
- 150 g Pasta Squares Use chopped up lasagna if you wish.
- Salt and Pepper To taste.
- Parmesan Cheese Optional.
- Heat a pan over a medium heat and when hot add the oil.
- Afterwards add the onion, celery and half of the pancetta and cook for 10 minutes.
- Whilst this is cooking par cook the pasta for 4-5 minutes in boiling water.
- Add the frozen peas to then pan and stir until defrosted.
- Shortly after this pour in the chicken stock and add the tomato puree and stir.
- Once this has come to the boil add in the pasta squares and remaining pancetta, then reduce the heat and simmer until the pasta is cooked.
- Serve sprinkled with coarsely grated Parmesan cheese and freshly chopped parsley.