This tortellini soup is a hearty main course style soup that is crazy quick to make, a perfect midweek pantry “lifesaver” full of great flavours!
You all know I love cooking from scratch but sometimmes life just gets in the way and this tortellini soup uses one of my favourite freezer/store cupboard fall back products. Store bought tortellini is something I can always lay my hands on, it is a little more interesting than plain old dried pasta and yes even the expensive stuff aint as good as homemade. But you can dress it up real quick and have a fab simple dinner in half an hour with out batting an eyelid.
This is the second tortellini soup I have done this year here on Krumpli, although this one is a little more “homely” than the tomato consomme I did in the summer, that of course does not make it any less tasty.
I like this recipe as it kinda reminds me of summer, using up some of the produce I had great fun preserving over summer, tomatoes always remind me of summer, even on a blustery, grey and wet November day like today. I guess that kinda happens when you spend summer dealing with on occasions over a quarter of a tonne of the bloody things 😮 !
Talking about November, who stole it? Go on own up, last thing I remember was my wifes Birthday, next thing I know I’m cooking tortellini soup and my wife tells me we need to go chocolate shopping to stuff our advent calendar. I don’t even like chocolate really, so chocolate for breakfast, great!
Don’t worry I’m not a complete Christmas grump, just for the first couple of weeks of the advent season, I like Christmas, in fact I love it… Locking myself away with my wife and spoiling ourselves rotten is a real joy, but you know a joy for a week, not the whole bloody month!
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil Neutral
- 75 g Shallot Finely diced
- 35 g Carrot Finely diced
- 25 g Celery Finely diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic Finely chopped
- 1 Red Chili Finely sliced
- 250 ml Tomato Passata
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 250 ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 50 g Spinach
- 200 g Tortellini I use fresh pre-made spinach and ricotta tortellini
- Heat the oil in a deep pan over a medium heat.
- Add in the shallot, carrot and celery and cook for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Throw in the garlic and chili and cook for a further 60` seconds.
- Pour in the passata, and stock along with the tomato puree and oregano and simmer for 10 minutes, now is the perfect time to test for seasoning and add salt and pepper as required.
- Now add the tortellini and cook with a lid on for the time it says on the packet, or until cooked to your liking.
- Finally add the spinach and stir to wilt, season with salt and pepper and serve.