This quick 20 minute pea and prawn pasta is a true freezer and store cupboard meal that still manages to feel special!
Pea and Prawn Pasta.
Grab your kitchen tools and strap in because this recipe is fast and tastes like a million dollars! In general, I use frozen prawns and peas in this recipe but you can swap out for fresh if you are lucky enough to have them.
A quick note for my US readers, for us Brits, prawns are shrimp and shrimp are prawns!
Peas may seem like an odd ingredient to add to pasta, I happen to love them.
They offer little explosions of sweetness against salty ingredients, a combination that I adore.
They work so well in this recipe sitting beautifully alongside the prawns and the heat of the chilli.
How to Quickly Defrost Prawns.
I never usually bother to defrost my prawns before cooking them for dinner.
I keep them in the freezer to provide quick and unplanned dinners that feel special. Another example of this is my garlic harissa prawns recipe.
The best way to defrost prawns or shrimp quickly is to place them in a colander and run cold water over them.
You need to do this with running water, you cannot just place them in cold water.
It will turn into a big fishy ice cube.
The Secret is in the Timing.
This recipe is eye wateringly simple, but it can still go wrong.
Timing is critical to this recipe, get that wrong and you will have under or overcooked pasta, bullet-like shrimp and grey peas!
Now I have you worried, let me fix that for you!
Start with defrosting the ingredients, then get your pasta water on to boil.
Read the back of the pasta packet, I always take 60 seconds off the shortest cooking time for dried pasta.
When the water is boiling season it well then in goes the pasta. Start a count down timer and this is your running order.
- 8 Minutes before serving: Heat a pan to fry the prawns.
- 6 miinutes before serving: Add the oil.
- 5 minutes before serving: Add the chilli flakes.
- 4 Minutes before serving: Add the prawns and the garlic.
- 1 Minute before serving: Add the peas to the pasta.
- Ready to serve: Drain the pasta, add to the prawns with the oil and tuck in!
We all need fast easy dinners every now and then and this quick and easy pea and prawn pasta is a spicy favourite in our house!
- 250 g Frozen Prawns
- 100 g Frozen Peas
- 175 g Pasta
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1/4 Tsp Chili Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Defrost your shrimp under running cold water, this should take no longer than 10 minutes.
- Do the same with the peas, I stack the colanders on top of each other with the peas in the top colander.
- Mince the garlic.
- Cook your pasta as per the instructions on your packet in well-salted water.
- 6 minutes before your pasta is ready heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add in the chilli flakes and cook for a minute.
- Now turn up the heat under the chilli flakes to high and add in the shrimp and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the peas to the past for the final 60 seconds of cooking.
- Drain the pasta reserving a little of the cooking liquid.
- Add the pasta and peas to the shrimp.
- Stir until combined and add in 1-2 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water along with the remaining olive oil.
I used some large lumaconi pasta shells.
I do not like the fish and cheese thing in general but if you do then a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese would work.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 508Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 264mgSodium: 1369mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 36g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.