Prawn and pea pasta, a true store cupboard and freezer dinner that manages to feel like a treat, despite cooking in under 20 minutes!
A bit of smoky chilli flavour from chipotle chilli flakes, garlic and just a hint of lemon juice round out the simplest of dishes.
Quick Store Cupboard Pasta Dinner!
The ingredients in this glorious prawn and pea pasta recipe are pretty much a staple in our house.
Prawn and peas live in the freezer, and this recipe unashamedly screams about the magic of what I think are the two best freezer ingredients.
We always have pasta, garlic, lemon juice and chilli peppers knocking around and that is all this recipe needs aside from a little salt and pepper and basil… if you have it.
For all its utility it still tastes and looks like a special meal as far as I am concerned!
A bag of frozen peas may not scream pasta at you but I put the two together ALL of the time.
As for prawns with pasta… Well it’s simply a classic, I have another example that cook with fennel and squid ink spaghetti with prawns.
Frequently Asked Questions.
Does the 20 minutes include defrosting prawns and peas?
Absolutely, I never bother defrosting either prawns or peas in advance. The best way to defrost prawns and indeed peas is to drop them in a colander and run cold water over them, it will take around 5 minutes.
You need to do this with running water though! You cannot just place them in cold water because it will turn into a big fishy ice cube.
Do I have to use chipotle chilli flakes?
No, not at all. This recipe works really well with regular dried chilli flakes, or without them if you are averse to chilli spice.
However, chipotle chilli flakes add a wonderful smokiness to the dish as well as a bit of heat. I even use it in some of my Chinese fakeaway dishes, most notably my Szechuan beef stir fry.
Can I use a different pasta?
Yup… I would stick with something long and if it has a bit of width even better.
Fettuccine or tagliatelle would be my first choice, but you can also use linguine or even spaghetti. Large conchiglie are also a bit of fun.
What size prawns should I use?
Generally speaking I think bigger is better for prawns, but for this recipe I prefer a little smaller because it makes the dish easier to eat. I usually opt for size 20-30 in this instance.
Like many a pasta dish this pasta with prawns and peas recipe stands well all on its own. Other than a glass of wine of course!
However you will get a beautiful layer of dressing or sauce in the base of your bowl when you have finished.
You absolutely must mop this up with some bread. This is called “fare la scarpetta” in Italian which translates to “make the little shoe”.
My favourite bread for doing this, no matter the pasta, is ciabatta, which amusingly enough can be translated as slipper.
We all need fast easy dinners every now and then and this quick and easy prawn and pea pasta is a spicy favourite in our house!
- 250g (9oz) Prawns
- 200g (1 Cup) Frozen Peas
- 175g (6oz) Pappardelle Pasta
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Tsp Chipotle Chilli Flakes
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Coarse Sea Salt (Plus extra for pasta water)
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 12-16 Large Basil Leaves
- Lemon Juice to Taste
- Defrost your shrimp under running cold water, this should take no longer than 10 minutes.
- Do the same with the peas, I stack the colanders on top of each other with the peas in the top colander.
- Slice the garlic cloves as finely as you can.
- Roll the basil leaves into a cigar-like tube and shred as finely as you can.
- Cook your pasta as per the instructions on your packet in well-salted water.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium high heat.
- 6 minutes before your pasta is ready add the olive oil to the pan.
- When the oil is hot add the garlic, salt, pepper and chilli flakes then cook for 30-60 seconds.
- Throw in the prawns and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the peas and toss for 30 seconds.
- Drain the pasta reserving 3-4 tablespoons of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the peas and prawns and toss to coat adding enough cooking liquid to form a silky emulsion (2-4 tablespoons).
- Add the shredded basil and lemon juice to taste and give it one final toss before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 731Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 264mgSodium: 1552mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 45g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.