Tabbouleh salad is a North African & Levantine recipe that combines bulgur wheat with lots of fresh parsley, mint, tomatoes, cucumber & onion.
Bulgur Wheat Salad.
This tabbouleh salad is the next step on from that.
It is a traditional salad from the Arabic region that is also popular and a great compliment to North African flaovurs.
My version uses the soak method to cook the bulgur wheat.
It also features all of the classic flavours, parsley, mint, cucumber, tomato, onion, lemon and olive oil.
The great thing about a tabbouleh salad is how diverse it is.
Traditionally this would have been served as part of a mezze spread, essentially an ancient pick and mix.
But I find that it is a perfect side dish to a host of different dishes.
You could even toss some feta cheese through it and stick it in a lunch box.
Although you should take care to scale back the salt and lemon juice if you do this. It will store well in the fridge for 5-7 days in an airtight container too!
Tabbouleh is a classic bulgur wheat salad from North Africa featuring lots of fresh herbs, tomatoes, cucumber and red onion.
- 175 g (3/4 Cup) Bulgur Wheat
- 175 g (3/4 Cup) Boiling Water
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 50 g (2 Cups) Parsley
- 10 g (1/3 Cup) Mint
- 150 g (1 Medium-Large) Tomato
- 50 g (1/3 Cup) Red Onion
- 50 g (1/3 Cup) Cucumber
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Place the bulgur wheat in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and half of the salt.
- Pour over the boiling water and cover with clingfilm and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Chop the mint & parsley as finely as you can and place in a bowl.
- Deseed the tomatoes and cut into a 3-4mm dice and add to the bowl.
- Remover the seeds from the cucumber and cut the flesh into a 3-4mm dice and add it to the bowl.
- Cut the onion into a 2-3mm dice and add to the bowl.
- Pour over the remaining oil, add the remaining salt and the lemon juice.
- Allow to sit until the bulgur wheat has finished soaking.
- Combine the bulgur with the herb mix and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1194mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 5g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.