A mushroom gnocchi bake with balsamic vinegar, garlic and creamy mozzarella cheese makes a perfect easy & quick vegetarian meal.
I adore the flavour of balsamic vinegar, I use it for so much more than salad dressings.
Here it gets reduced down with a bit of garlic and some shallots to provide the base flavours for some simple mushroom baked gnocchi.
Please do not use your finest balsamic vinegar, keep that stuff for recipes dipping bread in and for dressings.
Equally don’t go own label value balsamic, pitch somewhere in the middle!
For me, it is first-class comfort food, simple to make, even quick to make but it feels every bit as cosy as a stew that has been simmering for hours.
But this spends just 10 minutes in the oven in a cast iron skillet. You can change that up to a 600-700ml gratin dish as I do with my Gnocchi alla Sorrentina recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I use store-bought or homemade gnocchi?
Homemade gnocchi is a glorious thing, I enjoy making it, but I certainly do not make it all of the time.
This gnocchi recipe is my equivalent of a TV dinner for me and as a result, it gets made with store-bought gnocchi.
Sure it is not quite as good but for a midweek meal it is pretty genius and I love it and use it in everything from my fried gnocchi through to this cabbage and walnut gnocchi.
Can I use shredded mozzarella?
I prefer fresh mozzarella in this recipe, but sure you could use shredded mozzarella, but it will take a little longer in the oven to melt.
Can I make this in advance?
This dish really does not reheat too well and is much better cooked and eaten fresh, but it cooks in well under 30 minutes so it is nice and quick.
Can I add some veggies?
Yes, you can throw in some parboiled tenderstem broccoli, green beans or cauliflower into the pan with the gnocchi, then bake it as normal.
If I were to be honest, I usually sit at the table with my wife and eat this mushroom gnocchi straight from the pan with some bread.
A nice side salad like this kale salad would work well, the apple and celery would really work well with the balsamic, and I would just omit the dressing and add olive oil.
My samphire salad recipe would also make a superb side!
I only name-check brands of equipment if I think that they make a material difference to a recipe. But if you have any questions feel free to ask them in the comments section below the recipe.
- 28cm or 11″ frying pan or skillet, it needs to be oven-proof.
- Saucepan for boiling gnocchi.
- Stirring and serving spoons.
- Chopping board.
- Kitchen knife.
- Weighing scales and or measuring cups and spoons.
Classic and simple flavours are at the heart of this gnocchi with mushrooms recipe, garlic and balsamic are matched with creamy and mild mozzarella cheese before being baked in the oven.
- 400g (2-3 Cups) Gnocchi
- 250g (2 Cups) Mushrooms
- 125g (¾-1 Cup) Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- 50ml (3 Tbsp + 1 Tsp) Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 30g (2 Tbsp) Butter
- 1 (35g) Shallot
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- Salt for cooking Gnocchi
- Cut the mushrooms in to bite-sized pieces.
- Dice the shallot and garlic cloves as finely as you can.
- Tear the mozzarella into "ribbons" and set aside.
- Heat a 28cm or 11" frying pan or skillet that you can transfer to the oven over a medium high heat.
- Add the butter and olive oil.
- When the butter begins to foam add the mushrooms and saute for 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the shallots, garlic and a generous pinch of salt.
- Cook the gnocchi in boiling salted water for 2 minutes.
- Drain the gnocchi and allow it to steam "dry" for 60 seconds.
- Turn the heat under the mushrooms up to high and add the gnocchi.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes to get some colour on the gnocchi.
- Pour in the balsamic vinegar and cook for 2 minutes stirring all of the time.
- Remove from the heat and add the mozzarella cheese.
- Place in the ovens and cook at 180°C or 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Serve with lots of fresh basil.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 835Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 528mgCarbohydrates: 99gFiber: 8gSugar: 11gProtein: 30g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.