I told you cooking lettuce was a thing! Petits Pois a la Francaise is a classic French bistro recipe of braised peas and lettuce that features bacon, cream and butter… How’s that for a holy trinity?
Petits Pois A La Francaise.
Don’t you just love the French language? Everything always sounds so effortlessly cool and sexy.
However, petits pois a la Francaise means nothing more sexy than French style peas.
Now, if like me, you love peas you know that they are pretty foxy but sexy? I’m not so sure.
The dish though is the very epitome of why French food is held in such high esteem.
It is so simple, essentially braised peas and lettuce with some bacon, garlic, butter and cream and I defy anyone not to fall in love at first bite.
To be perfectly honest I could eat this on its own… Locked in the kitchen… Straight from the pan… Just so I don’t have to share!
But this recipe is a perfect dish to pair with any simply cooked meat or fish.
The flavours whilst being fairly big and bold are complementary to most things.
You could practically throw anything alongside this recipe so long as it is not overly spiced and it would be divine!
Are Frozen Peas Ok?
Absolutely! Frozen peas are genuinely the best of the frozen vegetables!
To be perfectly honest unless you are growing your own peas or getting them really fresh from someone who is frozen peas are the best to use!
That does not mean that you cannot use fresh, I do… Although it takes twice as long to make this recipe as I eat at least half of what I pod!
Anyway, I digress! Frozen peas, use em, just defrost them before you do so that you do not lower the cooking temperature when you throw them in.
Defrosting peas only takes about 10 minutes. Place them in a colander under cold running water and stir occasionally!
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 50 g Salted Butter
- 50 g Streaky Bacon
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 3 Baby Gem Lettuce
- 150 g Garden Peas
- 100 ml Chicken Stock
- 50 ml Double Cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180°C or 350°F.
- Slice the bacon into 5mm pieces.
- Finely slice the garlic cloves.
- Remove the outer leaves from the lettuce and then cut in half length ways.
- Heat an oven proof frying pan over a medium high heat and when hot add in half the butter.
- When the butter begins to foam add in the chicken breasts which you have seasoned with salt and pepper and sear on the skin side until golden. Should take 3-4 minutes. Then flip and transfer to the oven.
- The chicken breast should take around 20 minutes to cook but you are looking for an internal temperature of 73°C or 165°F.
- Around 6-7 minutes before the chicken is ready heat another frying pan over a medium heat and when hot add the bacon and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- When the bacon is crispy, turn the heat up a little add the garlic and sear the baby gem lettuce on the cut side for 2 minutes.
- Flip over the lettuce and then add in the remaining butter and when it foams the chicken stock and double cream.
- When this mixture comes to temperature add in the peas and cook for a further minute until the peas are warm.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as required
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 676 Total Fat: 43g Saturated Fat: 23g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 211mg Sodium: 906mg Carbohydrates: 18g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 7g Protein: 53g