Herb crusted salmon fillets featuring a parsley and rocket (arugula) crust with lemon and pistachio nuts baked or roasted to perfection.
Preparation takes a leisurely 15-20 minutes and the dish cooks in just 10-12 making this a fantastic midweek dinner option.
Herby Baked Salmon Fillets
I love this approach to creating herb-crusted salmon fillets.
It is very much based on a technique I saw being used to create herb-crusted rack of lamb on a TV show years ago.
Rather than using herb-crusted breadcrumbs similar to those that I use on my baked cod fillet this recipe makes a thick herb-rich paste. A paste that is held together with pistachio nuts and olive oil.
The herbs I use are rocket and parsley, rocket, or arugula as it is known in some parts is often used as a salad leaf in dishes like my spicy mango salad.
Here I use it as a “herb” in much the same way I do for my rocket pesto pizza.
Seasoning aside the final flavour in the crust is lemon zest, before it is used to top a salmon fillet and baked in just 10 minutes or so!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to use skinless salmon fillets?
No, you can use salmon with the skin on, however, because of the way the dish is built and cooked it will not go crispy. As a result, I prefer to use skinless salmon.
Can I not just spread the crust on the salmon?
Yes, it is a little messier and you will never get the edges really sharp, but it works just fine.
Given that I usually prepare this dish with potatoes I always have the 10 minutes spare that this step takes.
Can I use other nuts and herbs?
Yes, of course, knock yourself out and shout up your favourite combinations. I make this recipe all of the time and change it up occasionally!
Other favourites include basil and pine nuts, you get the whole pesto “vibe”. Coriander, parsley and cashew nuts also work really well.
Sticking with the rocket and parsley, other nuts that work are hazelnuts or walnuts.
I like to serve this dish with some potatoes and a simple green salad.
If you wanted something a little more left-field then these fried polenta chips are also wonderful.
This simply baked herb crusted salmon fillet is baked with a thick crust of fresh herbs and pistachio nuts and goes from your fridge to your table in around 30 minutes.
- 2 (165-185g each) Skinless Salmon Fillets
- 25g (½ Packed Cup) Parsley
- 25g (½ Packed Cup) Rocket
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 25g (¼ Cup) Shelled Pistachio Nuts
- 1 Lemon (Zest Only)
- Place the parsley and rocket in a blender, with the olive oil, black pepper and half of the salt and blitz to form a paste.
- Add the lemon zest and the pistachio nuts and pulse to form a slightly coarse herb paste.
- Cut two pieces of baking parchment to the same size as the "top" of the salmon fillets and spread them with the herby paste. It should form a layer around 3mm thick. Transfer these to the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Season the salmon fillets with the remaining salt and then lay the crust on top of each fillet and peel off the baking parchment.
- Place the salmon on a non-stick baking tray, or place some baking parchment on a baking tray.
- Bake/roast for 10-12 minutes at 200°C or 400°F.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 499Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 698mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 40g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.