These crispy fried potatoes are a fantastic potato side dish, creamy on the inside, crispy on the outside and as salty as you like!
Crispy Golden Fried Potatoes.
This krumpli, yes my site name means potato in Hungarian, side dish is a real favourite in these parts. I grew up with them being called saute potatoes on the school dinner menu.
They are a great alternative to chips or fries and are a little more indulgent than wedges.
These are essentially new potatoes fried in oil, so pretty simple stuff!
Hints and Tips.
This recipe is insanely simple it can hardly be called a recipe.
There are however a couple of hints and tips that can help you make these potatoes all they can be.
First of all, your choice of potato, you want something waxy. A new, baby potato also often called salad potatoes.
When cooked like this they will have the most wonderfully creamy sweet flesh beneath the crispy interior.
I also try and use potatoes that work cut into 2 or 4 because you get a perfect amount of skin per potato. This is not critical!
The second and equally important part of this recipe is oil temperature.
You want to cook your potatoes at 160°C or 320°F for the first 10-12 minutes.
Then turn up the heat for the last 5 minutes so that the oil pushes on towards 180°C or 350°F.
If you cook at too low a temperature at the start the potatoes will go soggy, too high and they will burn and be raw inside.
This gives you perfect “Goldilocks” potatoes, just right!
- 400 g Small Potatoes
- Oil for Frying
- Salt to taste
- Heat enough oil to fill a pan to a depth of 10-15mm.
- Ensure that the pan is big enough to hold the potatoes in a single layer.
- Cut the potatoes into a 2cm dice and when the oil is hot (160°C or 320°F).
- Add the potatoes and fry for 10-12 minutes turning occasionally.
- After 12 minutes turn up the heat and fry for a further 5 minutes turning to ensure an nice even colour.
- Remove from the oil and drain on a kitchen towel before seasoning generously with salt.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348 Net Carbohydrates: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g