Apple and Mackerel are a wonderful combination and bacon makes everything better so this smoked mackerel salad with apple and bacon has you covered!
Smoked Mackerel Salad with Apple and Bacon.
I love this time of year and I love this recipe. This Smoked Mackerel Salad with Apple and Bacon is nothing more than a few good things that really work well together.
Of course they have been given a little care and attention to make them sing.
Sure they could have all been thrown together. However, things like reducing the apple juice with the ginger. Or lightly heating the mackerel under the grill are the little 1% things that make a huge difference to a plate of food.
I have spoken about my love for mackerel and smoked mackerel here before. As far as I am concerned there is no finer “fruit of the sea” than the humble mackerel.
You can keep your turbot and lobster. Not because they are not great but because I prefer the frugal humble and unbelievably tasty mackerel. Sadly fresh mackerel is hard to come by here in landlocked Hungary. But fortunately, the smoked fish is much more abundant.
As a result, smoked mackerel recipes appear rather regularly here on Krumpli. It is wonderfully diverse, I even have another smoked mackerel salad with mango. But stretching further afield, we have a smoked mackerel kedgeree and smoked mackerel pasta.
Cooking As Seasons Change.
This is a very strange time of the year as a recipe developer, it is the height of summer. In fact, the mercury has topped 40°C (104°F) a couple of times this week and I am loving the salad recipes this year.
However, the fact that this smoked mackerel salad was shot as a lunch before heading to the opening game of the 2017-2018 Football season indicates it is nearly time for that change.
I have already been working on and developing late summer early Autumn recipes. I have an absolute cracker of a pork chop recipe with blackberries heading your way at the end of the month.
Fortunately smoked mackerel and indeed all smoked fish spans all seasons. So you should expect many more smoked mackerel recipes in the coming months.
Me & Football…
For my sins I chose to follow Szolnok MAV FC as my team in Hungary. Just like my team in the UK (Birmingham City), they are not very good.
Languishing in the second tier of Hungarian football losses are more common than victories. But it is a good giggle and I love watching football, even poor quality stuff.
Our season kicked off in fine form though and 75 mins into the game we were 2-0 up. True to form though after 77 minutes it was 2-1 . We then managed to really nail home our identity by giving away a penalty in extra time and walk away with a draw.
I know you only secretly come here for the low down on lower league Hungarian football!
I had to do it all with no beer for me as I was driver for the day. So fearless stunt wifey got to drown the sorrows whilst I was stuck with a non alcoholic beer. Pah!
- 100 g Bacon, Cut into batons
- 40 g Bread, Diced into 1cm cubes for croutons
- 300 g Smoked Mackerel, Skinned and removed from the bone
- 35 g Banana Shallot, Finely sliced into rings
- 50 g Ginger, Grated
- 150 ml Apple Juice
- 50 ml Rape Seed Oil, Sub for ground nut oil or something else suitably neutral
- 1 Handful Salad Leaves, I used lambs lettuce, watercress would be wonderful but sadly unavailable at the moment
- 1 Apple, Peeled and cored and cut into thin wedges
- Take 50ml of the apple juice and add 15g of the grated ginger, mix and set aside, this will form the marinade for the apple.
- In a small pan add the remaining 100ml of apple juice and 35g of ginger and boil over a medium high heat until reduced to 25ml.
- Then take the reduced apple and ginger syrup and pass through a sieve to remove the ginger.
- Whisk this syrup with the rape seed oil, add salt to season as required and the shallot rings and set aside, this will form our dressing.
- Preheat your broiler to high and fry off the bacon and croutons until crispy and golden.
- Gently tease the mackerel fillets from the bone if you have a whole smoked mackerel.
- Place the mackerel fillets under the broiler and heat just a little, you don't want to cook but just to soften the fats.
- Now we are ready to serve, place the salad leaves on the plate and then add the rest making it as pretty or scruffy as you like before drizzling over the dressing!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 1006 Total Fat: 69g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 49g Cholesterol: 162mg Sodium: 1074mg Carbohydrates: 40g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 20g Protein: 56g