A beef stir fry with noodles is hard to beat, this one is spiced with fresh chilli and sweet chilli sauce and it cooks in just 15 minutes!
Noodle Stir Fry.
If I need a quick meal there are two styles of dish that first spring to mind, the first is pasta, the second is a stir fry.
I usually opt for the second!
Beef is a great meat to use in a stir fry, it has a big flavour and as a result is stands up to big flavours. It also means that you need less of it to get a real meaty hit.
This recipe uses just 200g (7oz) of beef for two people and it still tastes very meaty.
The noodles offer a great vehicle to spread that flavour out at a relatively minimal cost. So it kinda feels a little indulgent whilst being really rather frugal.
Let’s start with the beef, I call for Sirloin steak for this recipe.
But there are other cuts that you can use, rump, skirt and flank are probably the choice of them. I use rump steak in my beef in oyster sauce recipe.
You do have to ensure that you cut across the grain, they are less tender than sirloin, but have a little more flavour.
Avoid stuff like fillet, it has the least amount of flavour and can get lost among the other flavours. It also costs way too much money!
Next up chillies, the aim here is not to blow your head off, but to get a lot of chilli flavours.
I use two large mild/medium heat chillies and one hot chilli. I typically use fresh cayenne as the hot chilli, but use chillies that you can comfortably eat.
The same goes for sweet chilli sauce, I make my own but use a brand that you like.
Cooking Hints and Tips.
There are two things that you must do when you are cooking a stir fry.
The first is to make sure that your prep is done, this recipe cooks in 5-7 minutes and contains 12 ingredients.
You have no time to dig through cupboards, mix sauces or chop meat or vegetables!
Prepare everything first, place it in bowls and then and only then turn the heat on under your wok.
And that leads neatly to the second thing. Get your wok hot, far hotter than you think!
How hot? Dip your fingers in some water and splash them in the pan, the water should boil and dance across the base immediately!
The pan should be shimmering almost smoking. Then off you go, add your ingredients and keep them moving all of the time!
It's hard to get more classic than beef stir fry with noodles... This version goes spicy with a sweet chilli sauce based recipe that tastes divine and cooks in just 15 minutes!
- 200 g (7 oz) Sirloin Steak
- 75 g (2.6 oz) Egg Noodles
- 2 Medium Red Chilli Peppers
- 1 Hot Red Chilli Peppers
- 50 g (1.75 oz) Spring Onions
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 30 g (1 oz) Ginger
- 100 g (3.5 oz) Bean Sprouts
- 1 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil (optional)
- Cook the egg noodles as per the instructions and then refresh in ice-cold water.
- Thinly slice the beef across the grain.
- Thinly slice the garlic and cut the ginger into batons.
- Mix together the sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce and the ginger and garlic.
- Add the beef to this mix and then allow it to marinate whilst you prepare the remaining ingredients and deal with the noodles.
- Slice the chilli peppers into thin strands.
- Take the spring onions and slice the white parts into 1cm lengths and the green part as finely as you can.
- Heat a wok over a fierce heat and when shimmering add the cooking oil.
- Add the beef and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Throw in the chopped chillies and white bits of the spring onion and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Next up are the noodles in they go and stir fry for 30-45 seconds.
- Finally in we go with the bean sprouts and most of the green parts of the spring onion, reserve a couple of tablespoons to garnish.
- Serve in bowls with the remaining spring onions and an optional drizzle of toasted sesame oil.
Don't get your hot red chili peppers confused with your red hot chili peppers, it would be a real 'flea' in the ointment!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 498Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 620mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 32g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.