A whole grilled trout stuffed with tarragon and lemon may sound really fancy but it really is a very simple and tasty way to up your barbecue game.
Most minds leap to sausages and burgers when it comes to cooking on a BBQ or a grill.
If something fishy is thought of it is typically BBQ Prawns!
But that smokey flavour and high heat is great for cooking whole fish. This whole trout recipe features a stuffing of anise-flavoured tarragon and some lemon.
The seriously, nothing else required other than a healthy sprinkling of salt and pepper and dinner is served!
You can cook this dish using all sorts of fish, everything from snapper to bass all work well.
Once you have this recipe nailed down it is just a short step to something a little more complex… My BBQ Tandoori fish is ALWAYS the recipe that kicks off my bbq season!
How to Prepare the Fish.
If you can I would suggest that you get a fishmonger to prepare your fish for you.
It is not a difficult job but it is “icky”.
But if you cannot find someone to do it for you here is a brief guide.
- Rub the skin of the fish with the back of a knife in a direction running from the tail to the head.
- Once the scales have been removed run under cold water.
- Cut of any and all fins.
- Look at the belly of the fish you will find a hole, yes it is that hole.
- Place in the tip of a sharp knife just through the skin and cut up towards the head.
- Follow the gills form the side of the head to under the mouth. These will form a “triangle” cut this traingle with some sharp sheers.
- Put your fingers into the gills and firmly pull, this will remove the innards and gills in one step.
- Clean the inside of the fish under running water.
Like I say, icky but it takes not more than a minute or two.
This recipe is insanely simple and I tend to keep my sides equally simple.
If it is in season I usually just grill up some asparagus and cut some radishes in half and throw them on the BBQ.
But if you wanted something you can prepare in advance them a big bowl of my roasted vegetable couscous salad would work a treat.
If I wanted a sauce I would knock up a quick classic parsley sauce.
The aniseed flavour of tarragon is the perfect permeates the flesh of this gloriously simple grilled trout on the Barbecue recipe.
- 2 Whole Trout
- 1 Large Lemon
- 30 g Tarragon
- Coarse Sea Salt to Taste
- Black Pepper to Taste
- Cut the lemon into slices 4-5mm thick.
- Roll the tarragon into a ball and crush it in your hands to release the oils.
- Season the cavity of the fish with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Add 2-3 slices of lemon to the cavity.
- Stuff as much of the tarragon as you can into the fish.
- Season the skin of the fish really well with salt.
- Pop the fish into a fish basket.
- Brush the grill grate with a little oil.
- Now add the fish and cook it over the coals for 5-7 minutes each side.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 343mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 21g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.