Some simply roast chicken legs make for the perfect midweek dinner and the Indian spice rub on these is all sorts of delicious!
Midweek Roast Chicken
Roast chicken in the middle of the week may sound like a bit of a chore. But these chicken legs demonstrate that with 5 minutes prep and 35 minutes cooking it is perfectly possible.
This sort of thing forms a part in a regular dinners at “Casa Krumpli”.
Chicken legs are cheap to buy and full of flavour. This means that you can really go to town with spice and still taste the chicken!
In many ways, I guess you could call this a cheats tandoori chicken.
It lacks the complexity of flavour of a true Tandoori chicken but it has a wonderful quick Indian fix.
How to Prepare Chicken Legs.
You will notice that I do a little prep work on my legs before roasting them.
This serves a number of purposes.
- Ease of Eating: Cutting up a whole chicken leg with a knife and fork is not the most elegant of dinner table tasks. Stripping the knuckle gives the perfect drummer a mess free handle and the thigh becomes much easier to remove from the bone.
- Fast and Even Cooking: The joint between the drummer and thigh is the thickest part of the leg. Separating these two parts mean that the chicken cooks quicker and there are no pink bits!
- Presentation: Hey I like my food to look good, it takes very little time and it makes people feel special!
You can see how I prepare chicken legs in the video above.
The preparation of the leg starts at 28 seconds.
But in short look at the back of the leg and feel for the joint between the drummer and thigh. There will be a line if you look closely, cut along this with a sharp knife.
Then if you want to remove the knuckle, cut the skin just above the knuckle with a sharp knife.
Then just pop off the knuckle with your thumbs it requires a little force but it is not too difficult.
In autumn and winter, I usually serve these chicken legs with Bombay potatoes as you can see in these photos.
I use my Bombay potatoes recipe and then just nestle in the chicken.
It makes for a great Indian traybake meal and takes very little time fiddling. Just cook the potatoes for a further 5 minutes and bish bash bosh a complete dinner.
I have even been known to shred down the chicken and fork it through that salad and take it on picnics. Not to mention the fact that it is an incredible sandwich filling!
A simple Indian influenced spice rub takes the idea of roast chicken legs to a whole new level!
- 2 Chicken Legs
- 1 Tbsp Rape Seed Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Fenugreek
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Armchoor
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Separate the chicken legs into thighs and drummers.
- If you want to, you can remove the knuckle from the drummer too.
- Mix together the oil, the spices and the salt in a bowl.
- Massage this mix into the chicken.
- Place in a roasting tray or skillet and cook at 200°C or 400°F for 35-40 minutes.
- Rest for 5 minutes.
- You are looking for an internal temperature of 73°C or 165°F after resting.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 546Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 328mgSodium: 846mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 63g