This easy roasted tomato soup is a garlic lovers delight, it features two whole roasted heads of garlic and it tastes sublime!
Baked Tomato Soup.
Oven roasted tomatoes are the sweet base for this delicious and easy, vegan roasted tomato and garlic soup.
Searing the tomatoes before roasting them gets some of the natural sugars in the tomatoes caramelised.
It is vitally important that you do not use oil when you are searing the tomatoes.
This recipe is gloriously simple, aside from onion, tomatoes and garlic we add just two flavours, thyme and balsamic vinegar.
The balsamic helps to provide a balance to the sweetness of the tomatoes and thyme is a beautifully earthy autumnal flavour.
And boy do we go big with garlic in this homemade roasted tomato soup!
We roast 2 whole heads of garlic, don’t worry though you will not become a vampire botherer!
When roasted garlic becomes much more mellow, I use a very similar the same technique in my roasted garlic spaghetti.
Choosing the Tomatoes
Of course, not all tomatoes are equal, in summer I make this recipe with San Marzano tomatoes from our garden and freeze it up.
They are the most wonderful all-round tomato with thicker flesh and fewer seeds. Fewer seeds mean less water and more flavour.
That makes the Rolls Royce version of this soup, but this recipe is the ideal opportunity to get all frugal.
Pop-out to the market or superstore late in the day and snap up some for the end of stock tomatoes that are reduced in price.
You are looking for overripe tomatoes, ones that are a little soft and BRIGHT red.
It does not matter if they are beaten up, how they look is of zero importance here.
If you do score a load and want something else to make with them then you must try this tomato consomme!
My oven roasted tomato and garlic soup definitely needs to be served with bread!
Growing up, I’d have scoffed huge amounts of squidgy white bread with my tomato soup.
Today I am mush more likely to make some garlic croutons. Simply chop up so older bread. Then heat some butter in a pan with a bashed garlic clove and toast your bread in it!
You can add a swirl of balsamic reduction too if you like.
But you always need a slice of bread at the end to clean up the bowl.
I’m not much of a baker but I always try and make a soda bread to serve with this easy tomato soup!
Roasting the tomatoes and garlic for this easy homemade oven roasted tomato soup really does elevate the flavours to a whole new level!
- 1 Kg (2.2lb) Tomatoes
- 225 g (1 Large) Onion
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Heads of Garlic
- 2 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- Cut the tomatoes in half and season the cut side with salt.
- Heat a large heavy based skillet or frying pan over a very hot heat.
- Fry the tomatoes in batches with the cut side down.
- Cook until they begin to catch on the edges, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- After each batch transfer to a roasting tin.
- Slice the onion into 8 wedges.
- Pour in one tablespoon of oil into the hot pan.
- Fry the onions for 5-7 minutes to get them a nice golden colour and add them to the tomatoes.
- Deglaze the pan with the balsamic vinegar and pour over the tomatoes.
- Add the thyme and a good grind of black pepper.
- Cut the top 1cm off the heads of garlic and drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
- Wrap the garlic with foil and then add to the roasting tin.
- Roast in the hot oven for 45 minutes at 220°C or 450°F.
- Remove from the oven and set aside the garlic for a moment.
- Blend the remaining ingredients and pass through a fine sieve.
- Open the foil packet of garlic and squeeze out the roasted garlic.
- Mash with a fork and stir through the soup along with any oil from the packet.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 601mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 4g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.