The very essence of simplicity and packed with zing and this garlic lemon chicken recipe can be on your plate in 40 minutes & 30 of that is all about relaxing
You Can’t Beat Lemon Chicken.
I love this simple chicken thigh recipe for a host of reasons, sure it is easy, of course it is delicious and it is cheap too!
But it is also one of those magical dishes the straddles the seasons so well.
In the height of summer the lightness of the lemon makes it feel gloriously summery. But in the depths of winter, it adds some much-needed brightness and fake sunshine to the dinner table.
The flavours in this lemon chicken recipe are European in influence and really very simple.
Ain’t nothing of exotic influence here, just some chicken with some really easy to find ingredients.
Really, classic flavour combinations that simply work!
Kicking off with the chicken, I use bone-in skin-on chicken thighs.
Technically speaking cooking chicken on the bone does not result in juicier chicken… In a test kitchen anyway.
However, it is my prefered way of cooking chicken thighs when cooking them whole.
I find that the bone adds to the aroma of the dish and to the richness of the sauce.
As this dish is super simple the only other ingredient with any notes to follow is the lemon. I always try and use unwaxed lemons in this recipe.
But if I cannot find them then I do not bother to try and rinse off the wax. It is a food-safe product and I do not find that it has any impact on the flavour or texture of the recipe.
If you only have waxed lemons and it bothers you, pour boiling water over them and give them a gentle scrub with a nail brush
As I have mentioned this recipe is very much one that straddles the seasons.
In summer it is a simple green salad featuring anything that is good and fresh.
The lemon is not for serving but to flavour the sauce.
Add the chicken thighs and onion to a plate with your desired side and nap over a little of the sauce.
- 4 Chicken Thighs
- 200 g Onion
- 2 Lemons
- 1 Head Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Cut the lemons and head of garlic in half through the centre.
- Peel the onion and remove a little of the root, but keep enough to hold it together when cut.
- Cut the onion into 8 wedges.
- In a heavy based pan that can go into the oven sear your lemons over a high heat.
- Remove the lemons from the pan and add the olive oil and bring to temperature.
- Season the chicken thighs with the salt & pepper.
- Sear the chicken thighs skin side down until golden then turn over.
- Add in the garlic and lemons both cut side down, then the onion and sprinkle over the thyme.
- Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 200°C or 400°F.
- Use a meat thermometer to check when meat is cooked to perfection, place the probe into the fattest part of the chicken and look for an internal temperature of 73°C or 165°F.
- I like to mash some of the roasted garlic into the sauce before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 757Total Fat: 50gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 37gCholesterol: 333mgSodium: 598mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 64g