Honey chilli chicken recipe features chicken fillets cooked in a sweet, sour, salty, and spicy sauce enhanced with garlic & ginger.
Heavily influenced by Chinese takeaway dishes this morish and easy meal cooks in just 25 minutes and is a real crowd-pleaser.
Sticky Sweet & Spicy Chicken Fillets
I love quick sub 30-minute fakeaway recipes. Sure it is simple to log on to an app or pick up the takeaway menus but dishes like this are so much quicker & cheaper. Personally speaking, I also find them so much more satisfying.
They have become part of a regular Friday night fakeaway in our house.
The chicken gets a bit of background flavour from Chinese five spice, a technique lifted directly from my salt and pepper chicken recipe.
It is fried until crispy then removed whilst a super quick and sticky sauce is made in the same pan.
Throw the chicken back in and grab some eating irons and a beer because by then dinner is ready. It all cooks in pretty much the same amount of time it takes to boil some rice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to use chicken fillets or tenders?
No you could use chicken breasts sliced into pieces roughly the same size as chicken fillets. You could even use chien thighs although cutting them into neat pieces is more of a challenge.
What chillies should I use?
As ever use a chilli whose heat you can tolerate. I personally use fresh cayenne peppers a lot, they have a reasonable amount of heat without making me cry.
Can I add other vegetables?
Yes, anything that can be stir fried in a couple of minutes works well.
Courgette or zucchini, onions, broccoli cut small, sugar snap peas or mange tout, mushrooms or pak choi are good options.
What is the difference between dark say sauce and soy sauce?
Dark soy sauce is a little thicker than regular soy sauce, it is not as salty and it is a little sweeter.
It is perfect for this dish because it adds the right amount of salt, using light soy risks over-seasoning the recipe.
I usually serve this recipe with boiled rice because the sauce is big and bold and it carries the flavour well.
Egg fried rice is another great option if you have planned ahead.
Let’s not forget noodles, they would be perfect alongside this honey chilli chicken. These quick vegetable noodles would be a fab accompaniment.
I only name-check brands of equipment if I think they make a material difference to a recipe. But if you have any questions feel free to ask them in the comments section below the recipe.
- 30cm or 12″ nonstick frying pan or skillet.
- Kicthen knife.
- Chopping board.
- Weighing scales and or measuring cups and spoons.
- Mixing bowls.
- Kitchen tongs, stirring and serving spoons
This honey chilli chicken is loosely influenced by Chinese takeaway ideas and features a rich sauce of dark soy, honey and rice wine and lots of fresh chillies.
- 350g (12oz) Chicken Breast or Fillets
- ½ Tsp Chinese Five Spice
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Cornflour
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Paste
- 1 Green Chilli Pepper (Medium Hot)
- 1 Red Chilli Pepper (Medium Hot)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Small (150g) Red Pepper
- 2 Spring Onions
- 3 Tbsp (45-50g) Honey
- 125ml (½ Cup) Chicken Stock
- 2 Tbsp Rice Wine
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- If you are using chicken breasts rather than chicken fillets cut them into lengths about 10cm long, roughly the same shape as a chicken fillet.
- Place the chicken in the bowl and add the salt and Chinese five spice, mix well and set aside.
- Slice the chilli peppers into rounds approximately 2-3mm (⅛") thick.
- Peel and slice the garlic cloves as thinly as you can.
- Top and tail the red pepper and cut it into a 1-1.5cm (½") dice.
- Slice the spring onions at a 45° angle to the stem into slices 2-3mm ((⅛")) thick.
- Mix together the chicken stock, rice wine, honey, lemon juice and dark soy sauce.
- Heat the oil in a 30cm or 12" non-stick frying pan over a high heat,
- Coat the chicken with the cornflour and mix well.
- Fry the chicken in the hot oil for 1-2 minutes each side until nicely coloured.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the chillies, garlic, ginger, and red pepper to the frying pan and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce and boil hard for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and return the chicken with any resting juices and cook for a final 2 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 817Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 201mgSodium: 2239mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 3gSugar: 34gProtein: 76g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.