Air fryer stuffed chicken breast is a delicious, quick & easy midweek meal, mine are loaded with gooey mozzarella cheese & jalapeno peppers.
Preparation for this recipe can be comfortably done in 10 minutes and cooking takes less than 20 making this an ideal midweek dinner.
Mozzarella and Jalapeno Stuffed Chicken Breasts
This air fryer stuffed chicken breast recipe is very different to those retro classics.
I’ve opted into all of the “new fangled” bits of cooking kit and the air fryer is the only one that I consider to be part of my regular cooking kit… and it is absolutely perfect for cooking dishes like this for two people!
It takes under 30 minutes to prep and cook and can be scaled up or down in size with next to no additional time.
There is no time consuming bashing flat and rolling or the fiddly creation of pockets. Just cut through the breast and open it up like a book!
Then in goes loads of seasoning salt (of course) plenty of smoked paprika and as much cayenne pepper as you dare to add.
Finally some buffalo mozzarella cheese and jalapeno peppers. This is the sort of cooking that even the most novice of home cooks can tackle with confidence.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of cheese?
Yes, of course!
This dish works really well with any chees tha has nice melting properties. I like to use mozzarella because it aloows the other flavours to sing through whilst adding a creamy gooey texture to the dish.
But you could use everything from a mature cheddar cheese to a nutty Swiss gouda.
Can I cook this in the oven?
Yes, you can change out the air fryer for the oven in this stuffed chciken recipe.
Prepare it as per the instructions, pop it on a baking tray and cook it at 220°C or 430°F for 17-20 minutes. Then paint on the oil and smoked paprika mix and return it to the oven for a final 5-7 minutes.
Why do you put the chicken on baking parchement?
This is to save you on a little washin up effort! The cheese will melt and will stick in the basket, adding the parchment saves a little on the clean up!
Do I have to use a meat thermometer?
No, but as with all chicken you need to ensure that it is cooked properly. A meat thermometer is the easiest way to do this!
The place to check this stuffed chciken breast if you are cooking it in an air fryer is on the underside of the breast in the centre. The baking parchment also makes getting to this bit of chicken much easier too!
I’ve served this air fryer stuffed chicken breast with my spicy mango salad in these pictures and it is a perfect match.
This is also an ideal “chciken and chips” dinner!
That does however put a strain on the air fryer, but you could just as easy do some oven chips and cook this stuffed chciken breast in the oven too!
I only name-check brands of equipment if I think that they make a material difference to a recipe. But if you have any questions feel free to ask them in the comments section below the recipe.
- Air fryer, I use a Phillips XXL air fryer. You can bake this in the oven, see the frequently asked questions section for the instructions.
- Kitchen knife.
- Chopping board.
- Baking parchment.
- Measuring spoons.
- Quick read meat thermometer.
This simple air fryer stuffed chicken breast recipe is oozing with fresh mozzarella and it gets a hit of heat thanks to jalapeno chilli peppers and as much cayenne pepper as you dare.
- 2 Large (200-225g Each) Skin On Chicken Breasts
- ¾ Tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- 2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- Generous Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers
- 125g (4oz) Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Tsp Rapeseed Oil
- Butterfly the chicken breasts by making a cut on the side of the chicken around half way through the breast and opening it up like a book.
- Season the cut side of the chicken breasts with half of the coarse sea salt, jalf of the smoked paprika the smoked paprika and sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
- Slice the jalapeno peppers as thinly as you can and add divide half of the peppers between the two chicken breasts.
- Tear the mozzarella cheese into strips and divide it between the butterflied chicken breasts, sprinkle over the remaining jalapeno chilli peppers and close the chicken forming it back into it's normal shape.
- Cut two pieces of baking parchment so that they are a little larger than the chicken breast.
- Sprinkle the remaining salt over the chicken and place it on the baking parchment and then in the basket of an air fyer and cook for 12 minutes at 200°C or 400°F.
- Mix the remaining smoked paprika with the oiland brush it over the chicken after it has had 10 minutes, close the air fryer and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Ensure that the chicken reaches 73°C or 165°F with a quick read meat thermometer before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 658Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 238mgSodium: 1425mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 81g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.