This sticky red cabbage chutney has a very British sweet & sour vibe. It features apples & raisins and it cooks in malt vinegar & brown sugar.
A Very British Chutney.
Chutney recipes arrived in the UK from India and have very much taken a central roll in British food.
This red cabbage chutney is a combination of both and it rocks a very British style of sweet and sour.
We have tart Granny Smith apples combined with sweet raisins which are cooked slowly with red cabbage.
The real secret to the flavour of this recipe is the type of vinegar used.
You NEED malt vinegar, it is delicious and it is made from ale and it is non-negotiable for this recipe.
It has a complex flavour and it is an essential part of classic British fish and chips!
As a result, this chutney has that enigmatic flavour that is so distinctly of its place.
I love chutney recipes they are so versatile and this one is no different.
But if I were to be honest the way that I eat it most is with cheese on toast or if I am feeling fancy on Welsh rarebit.
This red cabbage chutney features the classic flavour combination of apples & raisins, cooking it takes just 45 minutes of slow simmering.
- 350 g (3-4 Cups) Red Cabbage
- 2 Granny Smiths Apples
- 150 g (1 Cup) Red Onion
- 100 g (1/2 - 2/3 Cup) Raisins
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp Brown Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp Onion Seeds
- 125 ml (1/2 Cup) Malt Vinegar
- 85 g (2/3 Cup) Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1.5 Tsp Salt
- Peel and grate the red onion and grate the red cabbage.
- Core and grate the apples.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pan over a medium high heat.
- Add the mustard seeds, stir and immediately add the grated ingredients.
- Pour in the vinegar and sugar, stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low then add in the raisins, salt, pepper and onion seeds.
- Cook gently for 45 minutes by which time almost all of the liquid should have evaporated.
- Jar and allow to cool.
Calorific value refers to the full recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1801Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 4925mgCarbohydrates: 406gFiber: 25gSugar: 350gProtein: 26g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.