Everyone loves chicken noodle soup and this spicy Thai inspired number is quick and simple, just 25 minutes from cupboard to table!
Chicken Noodle Soup.
Many societies around the world have a version of chicken noodle soup. Whether that be Italian, Jewish and of course across the Asian continent.
This version is inspired by Thai flavours and features ingredients that I typically have at home.
In many ways, it is influenced by my hoisin chicken noodle soup but this one has a glorious hit of chilli tempered by coconut milk.
I typically use my own Thai red curry paste for this recipe, but this recipe is all about convenience. So feel free to use store-bought if you want!
My preference for noodles is egg noodles, I simply do not like rice noodles. I find them slimy and genuinely unpleasant texturally.
But it is ok, we all like different things and there are rarely right or wrong answers when it comes to cooking.
You can use rice noodles in this recipe in exactly the same way that I use egg noodles.
Cook them as per the packet, then refresh in running cold water to stop the cooking process.
Then finally add them into the soup just to warm through right at the end.
Hints and Tips.
The main thing to look out for in this recipe is the salt levels in your stock.
They all vary considerably and if you add too much fish sauce to heavily salted stock your soup will be nasty.
Have a taste of the stock and try and buy low sodium stock.
Not because I want you to watch your salt levels, nut because we can always add more, but we can never take it away!
I use tenders in this recipe for convenience. You can, of course, use breast or thighs, you just need to cut them evenly into bite-sized pieces.
One final hint, when you shred your spring onions drop them in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes.
They will curl and look cool, they will also lose some of their harshness!
This simple Thai chicken noodle soup cooks in just 25 minutes and is the perfect spicy belly warmer!
- 300 g Chicken Tenders.
- 50 g Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 500 ml Chicken Stock
- 165 g Coconut Milk
- 2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 Tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 75 g Egg Noodles
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 Spring Onion
- 1 Red Chilli Pepper
- Fresh Coriander Leaves
- Cut the chicken tenders into tow or three bite sized pieces.
- Heat a pan over a medium high heat and add half of the coconut milk.
- When it boils add the Thai Red Curry paste and turmeric.
- Stir until this forms a paste and add the chicken tenders.
- Stir to coat them in the paste and then add the coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce and dark soy sauce.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the soup is simmering cook the egg noodles as per the instructions on the packet and refresh in cold water.
- Remove the seeds from the chilli pepper and finely slice and finely slice the spring onion.
- Roughly chop the coriander.
- By now the chicken will be cooked, add the noodles to the soup and the lime juice.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with fish sauce and more lime juice if required.
- Serve up and garnish with the spring onion, chilli and coriander.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 811Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 3690mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 41g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.