Creamy cauliflower soup a rich chunky vegetarian dish given luxurious texture with a roux rather than cream, a real comfort food winner!
This vegetarian soup is easy and quick to cook, coming together in a shade over 30 minutes.
Chunky Cauliflower Soup
I’m rather fond of a good bowl of soup, this creamy cauliflower soup joins at least 45 here on my site already.
Now that does not mean that it is all pious in its intent. This delicious vegetarian soup is thickened with a roux.
A classic technique that combines a mix of flour and butter with milk or stock.
It offers this soup a rich and round mouthfeel that I absolutely adore.
I also have an Indian-inspired curried cauliflower soup that uses a veloute to make the dish creamy, this is essentially a bechamel made with stock rather than milk.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I turn this into a smooth soup?
Yes, this soup blends really very well. Place it all in a blender, give it a blitz and you have a cream of cauliflower soup.
This makes it much easier to drop into a thermos flask and take to work for lunch.
My roux is grainy what did I do wrong?
If you have a grainy roux or one that tastes like flour it is likely that you have not cooked the flour out before adding the milk.
It is important that you are patient with this part of the dish. You must not have the pan too hot or the flour will colour up and your roux will turn out golden.
Can I make this soup in advance?
Yes, this soup will last for 3-4 days in the fridge.
However, it will not take continual reheating, if you do this the cauliflower will break down. Asa result, you should only reheat what you need.
Can I scale up the size of this soup?
Yes, you can make this as big as you like. Generally speaking the cooking time will remain largely the same although volume means that things take longer to heat up.
I tend to view this creamy cauliflower soup as a one-pot simple meal.
It serves 4 as a light lunch or 2 as a main course. I do usually serve this with bread though, you gotta mop up left up soup from the bottom of the bowl, right?
If I am making bread at home it is most likely to be a small soda bread. I am genuinely not to be trusted with freshly baked bread, it rarely makes it until it cools.
I only name-check brands of equipment if I think they make a material difference to a recipe. If you have any questions feel free to ask them in the comments section of the recipe.
- 20cm or 8″ saucepan.
- 15cm or 6″ saucepan.
- Chopping board.
- Kitchen knife.
- Weighing scales and or measuring cups and spoons.
- Stirring and serving spoons.
This cream of cauliflower soup is not blitzed to a smooth soup, but is left chunky and is enriched with a roux based white sauce.
- 325g (1½ Cups) Cauliflower
- 75g (½ Cup) Onion
- 100g (⅔ Cup) Carrot
- 1 Stick Celery
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 50g (3 Tbsp) Butter
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 500ml (2 Cups) Vegetable Stock
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 25g (2 Tbsp Cup) Flour
- 200ml (¾ Cup + 2 Tsp) Milk
- 5g (¼ Cup) Chopped Parsley
- 1 Pinch Sweet Paprika
- Cut the carrot, onion and celery into a 5mm (¼") dice.
- Slice the garlic as thinly as you can.
- Heat half of the butter over a medium heat in an 20cm or 8" saucepan.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celeriac and cook for 10 minutes.
- Cut the cauliflower into 1-2cm (½-¾") florets, finely slicing any stalks.
- Add the cumin to the onion mix cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower and stir to combine.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and add the bay leaf and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining butter over a medium heat in a 15cm or 6" saucepan.
- When melted add in the flour and cook out the flour for 5 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add 50ml (3 tablespoons) of the milk to this mix and beat until it is thoroughly combined.
- Repeat this process until all of the milk has been combined and you have a thick smooth sauce.
- Add this sauce to the soup mix and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped parsley.
- Sprinkle with sweet paprika to serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 390Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 998mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 10g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.