This rabbit ragu is a reminder of what a wonderful, cheap and sustainable meat rabbit can be in this rustic and wonderfully tasty Instant Pot rabbit pasta recipe.
InstantPot Rabbit Ragu with Orecchiette Pasta.
Rabbit has only made one appearance here on my site before. This rabbit ragu joins a fab North African inspired Rabbit tagine in that lonely category.
For those that have never tried it, please give it a go. It is a wonderfully versatile meat. In most places very affordable and makes a wonderful change from chicken.
This rabbit ragu sauce makes the perfect hearty summer pasta if you ask me. It is the perfect meal after I have spent a day at the grindstone in the garden. Particularly as the mercury has now permanently risen!
I can’t believe we are now entering June, in just 4 short weeks we will be halfway through the year. How on earth did that happen?
Unusual Pasta Recipes.
You may think that this rabbit pasta recipe is a little unusual. However, rabbit pasta is incredibly traditional if now a little old school, it really is just a riff on rabbit stew!
Pasta ragu is not just about pasta bolognese, a ragu is just a stewed sauce. In the main that means meat although you can make a cracking lentil ragu.
One of my favourite ragu sauces is this duck ragu, in many ways it is similar to this Instant Pot Rabbit Ragu. Simple ingredients stripped back and they both pack way more flavour than you would think!
A Foodie Treat.
In other news, our foodie summer really kicked off with a real treat. Our trip to the Gourmet Festival a couple of weeks ago was a heaven for a couple so enamoured with eating well.
We have followed it up by scoring some tickets to the Debrecziner Gourmet Festival at the end of this month.
We went last year and it was awesome.
A whole host of restaurants from across Hungary coming together to celebrate the Debrecziner Sausage. It is kinda similar to a Chorizo, heavy with Hungarian Paprika and utterly glorious.
Each restaurant has 2-3 dishes all featuring the star of the show in one way or another. Everything from Bao to Gulyás and Burgers to Pho. You should definitely follow me on Instagram to grab a sneaky peak of the day as it happens.
InstantPot Rabbit Ragu with Orecchiette
- 1 Whole Rabbit Skinned and jointed
- 2 Tbsp Cooking Oil Neutral
- 30 g Carrot Small dice
- 30 g Celery Small dice
- 75 g Onion Small dice
- 150 ml Dry White Wine
- 150 g Cherry Tomatoes Cut in half
- Salt and Pepper To taste
- 30 g Parsley This should be a nice bunch with stalks and all, roughly chop the stalks and medium fine chop the leaves
- 350 g Orecchiette Pasta
- Heat your instant pot on saute mode and when hot add half the oil and cook out your onions, celery and carrots for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Place the remaining oil in a frying pan and and heat over a medium high heat and brown the rabbit flesh that you have seasoned with salt and pepper. This should take 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes turn off the instant pot and add in half of the tomatoes, parsley stalks, bay leaf and white wine.
- Now nestle in the rabbit and season with 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt, a good grind of black pepper and cook on manual high pressure for 40 minutes with a natural pressure release.
- When the instant pot has finished cooking and starts its pressure release phase, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the Orecchiette pasta as per the instructions, which should be in the 10-12 minute region.
- Now remove the lid from the instant pot and take out the rabbit and shred it.
- Whilst shredding flip the instant pot over to saute mode, add in the remaining cherry tomatoes and reduce the sauce by half.
- Finally drain off your pasta and add back into the reduced sauce and shredded rabbit meat and serve with a nice glass of wine.