A BBQ need not be a meat feast, these stuffed grilled mushrooms are filled with cheddar cheese, balsamic vinegar and gloriously nutty brown rice!
Stuffed Grilled Mushrooms.
I love stuffed mushrooms, hell I just love mushrooms and whilst I have been cooking outdoors over the last few weeks I have fallen into the trap of being a bit of a meathead!
This is one of the ways I break that up a little. This recipe started out as the filling for a tart no less, it is simple to prepare and tastes fantastic.
Just like my Welsh Rarebit recipe, the secret here is your choice of cheese! There is lots of stuff out there labelled Cheddar that is frankly awful.
Firstly cheddar should be sharp and crumbly, I like it insanely sharp so buy something mature. You need that sharp and salty flavour to stand up to the balsamic vinegar.
We then have the nutty wholegrain brown rice to provide a nutty textural foundation for all that flavour.
Of course, mushrooms are such great sponges for flavour! As a result of this, the smokiness really gets dragged into the earthy mushrooms.
Add a bit of peppery rocket dressed in a simple dressing on the side and you have a great starter to your afternoon or a cheeky little supper.
BBQ Recipes Without ‘Meat’.
As I mentioned earlier, I am just as guilty as most when it comes to throwing a BBQ… My mind immediately races to burgers, sausages and steak!
But there are loads of great ways to break up the meat fest that most BBQ’s tend to be.
But out of left field, there are a couple of other options. Pizza is easy to flip completely vegetarian if you like and grilled pizza is genius.
But if you want to try something that is a real revelation, once you have mastered these stuffed grilled mushrooms how about tackling this grilled cabbage steak. No, I am not joking, they are fanbloodytastc!
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms
- 100 g Cooked Whole Grain Rice
- 100 g Mature Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Spring Onions
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 5 g Fresh Parsley
- Balsamic Reduction For Dressing
- Salt to taste
- Begin by cooking your wholegrain rice and allowing too cool, this is the perfect time to get the grill fired up.
- Grate the cheddar cheese and finely chop the spring onions and parsley.
- When the rice is cool mix in the cheese, balsamic vinegar, spring onions, the chopped mushroom stalks and fresh parsley, then set aside, have a quick taste here to check for seasoning.
- Now brush the mushrooms with the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the mushrooms cup side down on the grill, for 5 minutes until lightly grilled.
- The flip over the mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the base is lightly grilled.
- Move the mushrooms off the direct heat of the charcoal.
- Pile in a quarter of the rice and cheese mix to each mushroom cup and close the lid of the grill and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Before serving drizzle with some balsamic reduction.
I serve these with some simply dressed rocket leaves for the punch of pepper.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 511 Total Fat: 38g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 22g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 775mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 11g Protein: 17g