Halloumi kebabs with a delicious and mildly spicy rose harissa glaze and veggies all slid onto skewers and grilled until perfectly cooked.
Preparation for these wonderful vegetarian skewers takes a leisurely 15 minutes and cooking them takes less than 10, making this a perfect quick centrepiece for dinner.
Spicy Halloumi Skewers with Vegetables
Who doesn’t love stuff on sticks, I have loads of recipes here for them ranging from vegan tofu satay to some wonderful minced beef kofta kebabs and BBQ chicken skewers to some wonderful lamb kofta kebabs!
My latest offering is some wonderfully fragrant and spicy halloumi cheese kebabs with a honey and rose harissa glaze.
Throw in some quick-cooking veggies like cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers and red onion and you have a super quick and delicious vegetarian main course.
The glaze takes minutes to stir together and the veggies take minutes to chop up.
All that is left to do is slide the skewers under the grill (broiler) for 6-8 minutes and bish bash bosh, dinner is ready!
And yes, of course you can stick them on the BBQ, they cook even quicker and taste even better!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I cook these halloumi skewers on the BBQ?
Yes, absolutely, they are perfect for a BBQ!
So long as your grid is nicely seasoned drip them right on the grill over the coals, they will take around 1 minute on each surface. Although this will vary depending on the temperature of your coals and the height of your grill plates.
Can I use different vegetables?
Yes, use anything that you like although you need to bear in mind the quick cooking time.
Courgette (zucchini) and aubergine will slide straight on there and cook in the amount of time as my recipe states. As will broccoli and cauliflower, although you need to choose the pieces you use and how you steak them wisely.
If you want to use roots like potatoes or celeriac then you will need to parboil them.
Can I use fruit?
Yes, both harissa and halloumi work really well with fruit, add slices of peach, apricot or nectarines for a real treat!
Can I cook these in advance?
Well, that really depends on how much squeak you like in your cheese! Personally, I am not keen on cold or room-temperature halloumi cheese, as a result, I prefer them straight from the grill or BBQ.
I’ve served these spicy harissa halloumi kebabs here with my delicious spicy mango salad, the flavours both complement and contrast the skewers wonderfully.
I only name-check brands of equipment if I think they make a material difference to a recipe. But if you have any questions feel free to ask them in the comments section below the recipe.
- Grill or broiler.
- Kitchen knife.
- Chopping board.
- Weighing scales and or measuring cups and spoons.
- Jar to mix the glaze or you could use a mixing bowl and whisk.
- Pastry brush.
- Skewers, I prefer bamboo skewers but anything will do. Skewers with a square profile make the kebabs easier to turn than skewers with a round profile.
These glorious vegetarian halloumi cheese kebabs are coated in a wonderfully sweet and spicy rose harissa glaze and will go from your fridge to your table in well under 30 minutes!
- 350-400g (12-14 oz) Halloumi Cheese
- 12 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Sweet Bell Pepper (Any colour is fine)
- 1 Small Red Onion
For the Harissa Glaze:
- 3 Tbsp Rose Harissa Paste
- 20g (1 Tbsp) Honey
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Dried Mint
- ½ Tsp Sumac
- ¼ Salt
- Half an hour before you are ready to cook soak your bamboo skewers if you are using them, skip this if you are using metal skewers.
- Place all of the ingredients for the harissa glaze in a jar and give it a good shake, you can whisk it in a bowl too if you want.
- The halloumi should have a "fold" open it up break or cut the halloumi in half, then cut it into 18 X 25-30mm (around 1") chunks.
- Remove the seeds from the bell pepper and cut them into 25mm (1") pieces.
- Top and tail the red onion, peel it and cut into quarters and then break it into petals.
- Thread onto skewers and then brush over the glaze.
- Slide the skewers under a grill (broiler) preheated as hot as it will go and cook for 90 seconds to 2 minutes per side.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 826Total Fat: 62gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 1313mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 3gSugar: 16gProtein: 41g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.