Simple pasta recipes are always a great kitchen fall back for those busy days, this roasted pepper and sausage pasta is one of those recipes. Waiting for the sausage to roast in the oven with the peppers is the most difficult part of this recipe.
Pepper and Sausage Pasta.
This simple pasta recipe uses my own homemade Italian sausages. However, it can be made with a range of different sausages, you are looking for something with lots of paprika.
The fat from the sausage forms the base of the sauce that is completed simply with some of the pasta cooking water.
All told you will need 3-4 tablespoons of the pasta water, add it little by little and stir. You will notice the dish change before your very eyes.
It is a classic and simple technique, this simple dish relies on the flavours of the sausage and the sweet roasted peppers.
Italian Sausage Recipes.
Most Italian sausage recipes use sausage with the casing removed and bashed down. It is a technique I use in my Italian sausage ragu recipe.
This sausage pasta recipe, however, cooks it whole and then slices it. This is for no other reason than because I like it that way.
Italian sausage is often used as an ingredient in soup, and they feature in a host of pasta recipes.
I have even grilled them and made ‘hotdogs’, the fennel flavour really stands out eating them in this way.
As I mentioned above, any paprika seasoned sausage would work well in this recipe. No matter where you are in Europe or the US it should be easy to lay your hands on something that will work.
However, I am a huge advocate for making your own sausages.
Sausages by there very nature invite unscrupulous producers to get rid of crap they can’t sell elsewhere.
I’m not talking about making sausages with prime cuts, just with the knowledge of knowing what goes into them.
The process is not as difficult as you would think!
- 300 g Italian Sausage
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Yellow Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 200 g Penne Pasta
- 5 g Parsley
- 35 g Parmesan Cheese
- Salt to taste
- Remove the seeds and the stalk from the peppers and slice into strips around 5mm wide.
- Heat a pan over a high heat and add the oil.
- Throw in the peppers and cook over a high heat for 2 minutes.
- Season lightly with salt and when sizzling add in the red wine vinegar.
- Reduce the vinegar to almost dry.
- Add the sausages to the pan and transfer to the oven.
- Cook at 200C or 400F for 25 minutes.
- After your sausage have been cooking for 20 minutes bring a pan of salted water to the boil.
- Cook the penne until al dente, I usually cook for a minute less then the packet instructions.
- Whilst the pasta cooks remove the sausages and slice them into 1cm thick coins on an angle.
- Return the cook sausage to the pan along with any juices.
- Now drain the pasta reserving a little of the cooking liquid.
- Pour the pasta into the sausage and pepper mix.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and just enough cooking liquid to make a creamy sauce, but not too much!
- Throw in the parsley just before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 857 Total Fat: 54g Saturated Fat: 19g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 39g Cholesterol: 101mg Sodium: 1437mg Carbohydrates: 50g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 6g Protein: 41g