These slow cooker pork ribs are the archetypal dump and run recipe and come with a delicious char siu glaze that makes a great dipping sauce.
Slow Cooked Ribs.
It does not matter how you do it, the very best way to cook ribs is slowly.
There is one exception and that is pressure cooker ribs, but essentially that does the same thing as slow cooking, just in less time!
This recipe goes with a take on char siu pork and it is super simple.
Sweet, slightly sour and with a hint of heat these are delicious!
You can chuck all of the ingredients into the crockpot before you go to work with minimum fuss.
Then all you need to do is flash them under the grill or broiler for 10 minutes when you get home. Which is the perfect time to reduce the sauce a little too.
Hints and Tips.
This recipe is insanely simple but there are some things that you can do to make it as good as it can be.
Try and by your ribs in a single piece, I like to buy them cut into “half ribs” lengthways.
This way you can remove the membrane on the base of the ribs. This helps a little with flavour but it makes the eating experience much nicer!
Traditionally Char Siu was cooked in a very similar fashion to a Tandoor in Indian food.
This makes the crisping up of the ribs a really important part of this recipe.
In the last 12 months I have started using my air fryer for this step.
Preheat the air fryer as hot as it will get, then spray the base with cooking spray.
Then add the ribs and “cook” for 3-5 minutes, we are not really looking to cook them any more, just caramelise the sugars.
I have no idea why but I have a tendency to serve these with proper old school slow baked potatoes with loads of butter!
However, these also work really well served with pickles.
These slow cooker char siu pork ribs are as tasty as a very tasty thing but even simpler than a very simple thing to make, what are you waiting for?
- 500 g Pork Ribs
- 50 ml Hoisin Sauce
- 30 ml Rice Wine
- 25 g Honey
- 30 ml Light Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Tabasco Sauce
- 2 Tsp Chinese 5 Spice
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 25 g Ginger
- 50 g Onion
- Blend the onion, garlic and ginger and drop it into the slow cooker.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cut your ribs into individual ribs, removing the membrane if it is still attached.
- Add the ribs to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Turn the slow cooker onto low and cook for 7-8 hours or 4 hours on low.
- Remove the ribs from the slow cooker and flash under a hot grill or broiler for 10 minutes turning occasionally.
- Whilst the ribs are crisping strain the sauce into a wide pan.
- Reduce over a high heat until a sauce consistency has been reached.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1063Total Fat: 79gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 35gCholesterol: 263mgSodium: 1837mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 56g