Baked sticky chicken drumsticks cooked in a wonderfully easy and quick cherry jam, treacle and balsamic vinegar glaze, finger-licking food!
This very simple recipe takes around 45 minutes to prepare and cook and they are just as good cooked in an air fryer and on the BBQ.
Glazed Sticky Chicken Drummers
I love chicken with a sweet and stick glace and I have loads of examples on my website.
My latest offering is some wonderful chicken drumsticks in a sticky cherry jam and balsamic vinegar glaze.
They are wonderfully easy to make, you throw some ingredients into a pan and reduce it down to make a glaze.
Then all you do is season the chicken, pour over the glaze and cook them in the oven for around 30 minutes… then dinner is ready!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is black treacle?
This question is often asked by US-based readers of my site. Black treacle is similar (but slightly different) to blackstrap molasses, and that is the best substitution if you need to use one.
Can I use a different cut of chicken?
Yes, this marinade works well with chicken wings, thighs or even chicken breast.
Naturally, the timings will need to change, but you are looking for an internal temperature of 73°C or 165°F for all of them.
Can I cook these chicken drumsticks in an air fryer?
Yes, I would cook them at 180°C or 350°F for 20 minutes, then give them a quick blast at 200°C or 390°F for 5-7 minutes to get a nice colour.
Again you are looking for an internal temperature of 73°C or 165°F.
Can I cook these drummers on the BBQ?
Yes, these work wonderfully on the BBQ, for detailed instructions and timings see my beer and honey BBQ chicken drumstick recipe.
I’ve served my oven-baked sticky chicken wings with some potato wedges, I think a potato-based side works best.
Potatoes ain’t the only “fruit” either, my fried polenta chips are awesome with these chicken drummers.
If you wanted to double down on the sweetness, something like sweet potato fries would work well too.
Finally, add some simple dressed salad leaves or a nice green salad and you are ready to rock and roll.
I only mention brands of equipment if I think that they make a material difference to a recipe. But, if you have any questions feel free to ask them in the comments section below the recipe.
- 15cm or 6″ saucepan.
- Stirring spoon.
- Oven. You can cook these in an air fryer or on the BBQ, see the FAQ section further up the page.
- Baking tray.
- Cooling rack.
- Kitchen tongs.
- Weighing scales and or, a combination of a measuring jug, cups and spoons.
- Quick read meat thermometer (optional).
These oven-baked sticky chicken drumsticks are baked in a sticky sweet and sour glaze made with treacle, cherry jam and balsamic vinegar and they taste fantastic!
- 6 (750g Total) Chicken Drumsticks
- 3 Tbsp (75g) Cherry Jam
- 2 Tbsp (50g) Black Treacle
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 75ml (⅓ Cup) Chicken Stock
- ¾ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Black Pepper
- Add the cherry jam, treacle, balsamic vinegar and chicken stock to a 15cm (6") saucepan and cook over a medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until it starts to form a syrupy texture.
- Place the chicken in a mixing bowl and season them with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the hot glaze and stir them to coat.
- Transfer the chicken drummers to a baking tray with a cooling rack on it (lining the tray with foil helps with washing up later), then bake at 200°C or 390°F for 20 minutes, then flip the oven to fan mode and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Ensure that the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 73°C or 165°F before serving.
For hints and tips for cooking in an air fryer or on a BBQ take a look at the Frequently Asked Questions section further up the page.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 615Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 348mgSodium: 1207mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 18gProtein: 67g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.