These glorious chicken meatballs in a rich and indulgent creamy honey and mustard sauce are a welcome addition to any mid-week dinner table!
Honey and Mustard Chicken with a Twist!
I love these super simple honey and mustard chicken meatballs… They take 30 minutes to cook and feel proper indulgent.
But this recipe feels ‘special’, even though it is incredibly easy!
Probably because it is properly indulgent. There are no substitutes for cream and butter, no matter what the latest fad diet says.
Honey and mustard is a classic and wonderful flavour combination and it works with so much!
Here we use pokey English mustard as the base of the sauce for some juicy succulent chicken meatballs. You could use something like Dijon mustard if you wanted something less aggressive.
You could even use wholegrain mustard, although that will make the sauce less silky.
The Secret to Moist Meatballs.
The trick to making moist meatballs is usually in the inclusion of fat.
But chicken is incredibly lean, even if you use the thighs as I do for the chicken ground chicken in this recipe.
I ensure that these chicken meatballs stay moist by freeing up the moisture content in the onions I flavour them with.
Onions contain a boatload of liquid, usually that liquid stays locked inside the structure of the onion. Grating the onion frees up that liquid and helps to add both flavour and moisture to the meatballs.
After that, all you need do is not overcook your meatballs.
They do not take long to cook, only a matter of 15 minutes. A meat thermometer will help you ensure perfection.
Look for an internal temperature of 73°C or 165°F!
I may skip the addition of the fat in these meatballs but sauce is gloriously silky with cream and butter.
I like to mirror this with my choice of side dish, which for me is potatoes, usually mashed potatoes.
But potatoes are not the only “fruit”, there is a book in that somewhere?
Perfectly moist and juicy chicken meatballs cooked in a creamy honey and mustard sauce and all in 30 minutes... what are you waiting for?
- 300g (10 oz) Ground Chicken
- 75g (1/2 Cup) Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 40g (3/4 Cup) Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme
- Fresh Nutmeg to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Mustard
- 75ml (1/3 Cup) Heavy Cream
- 10g (2-3 Tbsp) Chopped Parsley
- Grate the onion and mince the garlic and then add to the minced chicken.
- Grate in a generous helping of fresh nutmeg and add the breadcrumbs and the thyme then season with salt and pepper.
- Using wet hands form into 10 meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan.
- Brown the meatballs on all sides for 5 minutes or so.
- Reduce the heat and add a lid and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add in the honey and mustard followed by the cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally mix the parsley through the sauce before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 681Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 203mgSodium: 506mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 40g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.